Fitness and Nutrition in Recovery

During my time of sobriety I have also focused on my diet and nutrition. My wife, granddaughter and I have switched to a whole foods plant-based lifestyle. I have lost over 100 pounds. My lab works and vitals are excellent. But I didn’t do any exercise, so I have also lost a lot of lean body mass (muscles). So now I am combining

1. Sobriety
  2. Nutrition
  3. Exercise.
    My goal is to lose at least 100 more pounds, to rebuild my muscles mass and overall fitness and health. I have started exercising. I ride a stationary exercise bike, the kind that works both your arms and legs and using my TRX Bodyweight System. It’s day one for my exercising. My goal is to do a combined total of 45 minutes of exercise a day.
6 Likes

I’ve started bodybuilding, on week 3 of nutrition and lifting. I can not tell everyone how much it has helped keep me sober. I’m so busy meal prepping, work, making sure I sleep well, and the gym that I haven’t even considered drinking alcohol. I’m an all or nothing type so giving myself something to obsess over has been great!

3 Likes

Oh, and the healthy 5-6 meals a day. Eating. Holy shit the eating…drinking tons of water, then eating haha

1 Like

We also practice intermittent fasting on a 16/8 schedule. 16 hours fasting with an 8 hour feeding window.

1 Like

This time around in my recovery I am also prioritizing diet and exercise. My Mantra:

1.I am Clean and Sober
2.I walk 15000 Steps a day
3.I eat healthy food
4.I Pray to God

No added sugar, no fast food, and less of it.

I really think having these goals, and spending time on exercise and food prep, is helping my recovery.

5 Likes

That’s great @RogerDoc!
Keep it up. Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!

4 Likes

Am a devotee of IF as well! I am currently doing 20/4, which works good with my schedule. I found a great app (Fasting Tracker) that helps me stay cognizant with water intake and my eating window if you are interested.

2 Likes

We use the Zero app currently.

1 Like

I also find that focusing on fitness and nutrition helps with my recovery. I’ve been vegan for about 4 weeks now and I really enjoy it so far. I also do yoga 5 days a week and like how it’s both making me physically stronger and more mindful and centered. I’m currently at my goal weight so my main priority is to feel good and strong and not slide back into unhealthy food habits.
Good luck on all your fitness goals!!

3 Likes

Thank you. :grin:

AMAZING !!! :pray: thats my goal for next year is to focus on weightloss ! You have accomplished major Victory :muscle: