Five years later 🤯

Well this happened yesterday! :boom: I truly cannot think of a single situation, good or bad, that a drink would make better.

I was actually out at a bar when the timer ticked over, having a good dance in the early hours with friends. We had been out for a meal earlier and were saying goodbye to a friend who is about to go travelling. Some lovely memories made. Compare to five years earlier, coming out of a blackout at 2am, on my own in a bar crying having lost most of my stuff…

That all seems like a lifetime ago now! The last five years have been a rollercoaster as sobriety has coincided with mental and physical health challenges, a global pandemic, a big house move and some big life decisions looming. As well as all the day to day ups and downs in between. It certainly is not all rainbows and unicorn farts, although I like to think I appreciate them more when they happen thanks to being sober AF.

I am so grateful for this community, for all of the support and the opportunities to learn more about myself through other people’s stories. Life on life’s terms is hard but I see you all doing it and it helps me do it too.

Editing to copy a response I wrote further down the thread which might be useful!

I can remember reading around to start with and also having my mind blown by the idea of a year, let alone anything more than that! But it really just is a series of 24 hours, if you did it yesterday you can do it today, and if you can do it today you can do it tomorrow too! They all add up :blush:

One of the most helpful things for me was reading other people’s stories - the successes and the relapses. It helped me to see what might be coming up for me and give me some ideas of how to naviagte that. I learned so much from people with different addictions and different lives, we still have a lot in common.

So to start with it was understanding that things would change and what felt difficult then might not always feel difficult, it was OK to take a step back and not put myself in situations that would feel awkward. Also that it is normal to have cravings and thoughts like ‘well you’ve been doing so well, one wouldn’t hurt…’. To know to play the tape forward and remember what really happens when I drink (some combination of blackouts, drunk arguments, oversharing, spending too much money, generally saying and doing things that made me cringe, then the anxiety, guilt, shame and regret the next day).

It was also super helpful that I knew about the pink cloud, that it was not totally unusual for life to catch up and for things to feel a bit shit after an initial burst of optimism. That has ended up being a journey through depression and anxiety which was always lurking but never dealt with as I drank my feelings away. I knew, from the stories of others here, that alcohol wouldn’t help to solve that. Having the lessons from all the recovery groups and personal wisdom that I read here has also been a huge part of working through that side of things.

64 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS :clap::clap::clap:

Let me be the first to celebrate with you!

Go you!
Thanks for being around and being awesome throughout my entire TS journey.
Good times, eh?

Wishing you the happiest of times both now and for all your future

8 Likes

Thanks @AyBee for your lovely message and for all the farts :rofl:

4 Likes

Congratulations!!!

4 Likes

What an achievement! Happy 5 years soberversary and many years of ODAATs to follow :hugs::sunflower::birthday::tulip::dancer::notes:

4 Likes

Yeah 5 years! Happy soberversaty to you! :tada::heart::tada::heart::tada::heart::tada:

5 Likes

fart_2

4 Likes

Congrats on 5 years!! @siand

4 Likes

Woo hoo! Congratulations Sian! :partying_face:
How ironic that you were in a bar having a good time sober when your tracker hit 5 years. :laughing:
Thank you for all you amazing and supportive posts.

4 Likes

Oh wow Sian!!! Congratulations on your big 5 years!! What an incredible milestone and achievement!! And go you out dancing it up!! Versus the crying lost xyz in a bar BS of yore…damn glad that is past.

Personally, I want to thank you for being a friend and mentor and a kick ass moderator. You presence on TS is compassionate and steadying. Wishing you more joyful sober days and some peace as life moves forward!! :heart::people_hugging::heart::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::muscle::muscle:

5 Likes

Huge congratulations on your first 5 years, here’s to the next 5 :balloon:

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much for your generous contributions to this community. 5 years of freedom! Well done!

4 Likes

Five years Siand! Huge huge HUGE congrats! A mind-blowing milestone indeed. Excellent work. Thanks for being here, thanks for sharing your journey. Good times and lesser ones. Never again. Big hugs.

10 Likes

This is kick ass! Hugs Siand. Everyone else talked about it, you did all the work. Well done

3 Likes

Congratulations on 5 years of freedom :clap::raised_hands:! Thank you for all you do here and the help you’ve given me along the way.

4 Likes

Congratulations! What a great start into year 6 :tada::four_leaf_clover::sunflower::smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ha yes not planned but I thought that was quite poetic!

And yess @SassyRocks I will dance at any opportunity haha :women_with_bunny_ears:

7 Likes

Huge congratulations :sparkler::fireworks::sparkler::fireworks:

3 Likes

Congratulations Siand.
This is HUGE. 5 years. Omg :scream: I can’t believe it. It’s such a pleasure being on this sober journey with you. Thanks for all you do at TS as a MOD. Appreciate you.
Congratulations again on your new sober life.
:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:
:pray:t2::heart::hugs:

4 Likes

Woo hoo!! :tada::clap:t2::partying_face::balloon::gift::raised_hands:t2::piñata:

2 Likes