Five years sober

Five years sober today. Five years ago, I decided I’d had enough. I’d been thinking about quitting for months beforehand but quitting had seemed so drastic and final. I used to feel sad when I thought of cutting short my awesome fun-filled drinking career.

But I did it. Walked out of bar and didn’t go back the next day or the day after that. I didn’t do any formal programs. I didn’t go to therapy or rehab. I just stopped and stayed stopped. I avoided putting myself in situations that would tempt me. No need.

I read a lot. Went through many good books on addiction. I spent a lot of time thinking and trying to reprogram— trying to figure out what kept me drinking for so long despite negative outcomes. I spent a lot of time creating new hobbies — some stuck and others didn’t. Over time, I’ve created a new life that is quite a bit different than the one I was living. I’m a lot healthier and happier in my new routines than I was before.

Dealing with stress has been hard. I’ve spent a lot of time learning how to relax and slow things down when I’m anxious or upset. Alcohol used to seem like such an easy solution for a shitty day. Easy but very temporary. I had to walk myself through it mentally. Blackouts were my old method of temporary escape. But the shame and embarrassment of not remembering things was awful for me. And my same shitty problems were all still waiting for me when I rejoined reality.

It wasn’t always easy and early on and there were times when I was sad and lonely. But it got easier over time. My life got easier as well.

My life isn’t perfect and I make plenty of mistakes. But sobriety has helped me become a better person and brought me peace.

83 Likes

that’s so fantastic! thank you for the inspiration and congratulations! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with this statement.

Congrats on 5 years, thanks for sticking around and sharing your experiences and thoughts, they help me gain some perspective from anothers eyes.

8 Likes

Amazing, well done and very inspiring

2 Likes

Thanks. This means a lot. I always appreciate reading your insights and experiences on here.

1 Like

Congratulations on your 5 years!! So much hard work!! And thank you for adding your perspective and knowledge to the forum, I really appreciate you!!

3 Likes

Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your inspirational journey :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you so much that’s something I really needed to read today. Massive congratulations :heart:

2 Likes

5 years! I didn’t appeciate you’d been sober for so long @Alliecat.
If I had a hat, I’d take it off and probably throw it in the air!
Amazing!

3 Likes

Congratulations to you! Thank you so very much for sharing this. Inspiring to say the least. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Every single word you write resonates with me even the ballet and plays part. Congratulations and stay wonderful :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

5 years! That’s really something!
Congratulations! :tada:
Happy for you…:heart:

4 Likes

Huge congrats Alliecat, 5 years sober is just totally awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your story here. This is truly very inspirational to me. And a lot of others too I am sure but in this case i want to thank you for helping me personally. Love your road and your perspective.

1 Like

Thank you @Alliecat. You are an inspiration ! I love your post- exactly how I feel about sobriety and this new phase in life. I’m 998 days and your strength dedication and hard work has kept me going over the years.

3 Likes

This makes me smile hugely.
giphy

1 Like

@Alliecat. 5 years wow, AMAZING! Proud of you amd all you’ve contributed to the forum. Keep up the great work. You an inspiration especially for me as I quit like you did. No programs or anything. It CAN be done. Good on ya!

1 Like

What would you recommend?
And congrats 5 years of living life!

1 Like

you are an inspiration! congrats on 5 years! :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Way to go @Alliecat, I love hearing about your journey. 5 years is a big deal. I feel like the best is yet to come for you :bird::two_hearts::v:

2 Likes

Love this share, @Alliecat. So much reflection and honest searching.

A-freaking-men to that! :roll_eyes:

Thanks for this, and well done on 5 years of getting better! :partying_face: :ice_cream: :heart:

2 Likes