Flashbacks?

I’ve been clean for ten months from a meth and opiate addiction. Just recently I have been experiencing flashbacks of memories, conversations, random events that happened when I was using. And it’s always at the most random times at work or driving. And it just brings me down and depresses me. I wish I could just forget about it all. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it ever go away? Thanks for reading.

1 Like

For me, I don’t know that it ever goes away, but after time it’s not something the drags me down. That was a chapter of my life, and I know and accept that, and the memories come and go and I’m just thankful that isn’t who I am anymore. I’m sorry that they are hard for you to deal with right now, and I hope it gets better.

1 Like

Man I got one of these the other day. I’ve been sober a little over a year. So I was changing my 4 year old sons clothes and he looked up at me and it sparked this memory that was prolly a year and 3 months ago. I was putting him down for a nap and he was not cooperating to say the least. And I was just so mad that he wouldn’t go to sleep. I needed him asleep so I could have some time to myself to drink, ya know? Anyways, I yelled at him so loud that he flinched. Even now it brings tears to my eyes to remember it.

So yeah, it was a pretty heavy moment when I had this flashback. But it’s not like that today. I’m not like that today. And I was just flushed with gratitude man. I told my wife about and my sponsor and just reflected with both.

So I guess that’s my suggestion to you. Be Gratful for these flashbacks cuz I sure am. We need these memories to go forward. We have to remember what we were to be what we are now.

Gratitude man. Freaking gratitude. Congrats on 10 months :slight_smile:

4 Likes

had the exact same thing happen to me this morning. Had a flash of when I was on adderall, benzos, and drunk and was mentally not there and snapped at my son. It had the same effect on me…felt sick to my stomach followed by an overwhealming gratefulness that I’m not that person anymore. (Also that my kid was only 3 and most likely wont remember it…at least i pray to God he doesn’t)

1 Like

Had a flashback to an event on my last bender the other day.

@Gabe.G is right. Gratitude is the answer, I’m so grateful I have buried the a-hole I once was, even now on a bad day I’m a much much better human being.

It’s a glimpse in the rear view mirror, we see the carnage, focus back in front of us and keep moving forward.

1 Like

I have cptsd and through working with a therapist I have accepted they won’t go away. But the triggers aren’t random so I’ve found ways of avoiding those. If they are uncomfortable flashbacks maybe there is a trigger you can avoid to prevent them. I’m a sex and love addict. I get triggered by certain people environment’s etc. I don’t know if that helps. There’s loads written about flashbacks and trauma, I’m sure there is literature for addiction too.