Foundations of recovery

Today I was passed some advice and information after a testing day yesterday, I reached out for help and my sober buddy, (not a sponsor or coach) gave me great advice and information. I thought I would share in the hope it helps someone else too.

THE RULES FOR BEING HUMAN.

1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, it’s yours for life, so accept it. What counts is what’s inside.

2. You will learn lessons. Life is a constant learning experience, which every day provides opportunities for you to learn more. These lessons specific to you, and learning them is the key to discovering and fulfilling the meaning and relevance of your own life.

3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of experimentation, trial and error, so it’s inevitable things will not always go to plan or turn out how you’d want. Compassion is the remedy for harsh judgment - of ourselves and others. Forgiveness is not only devine - it’s also the act of erasing an emotional debt. Behaving ethically, with integrity, and with humour - especially the ability to laugh at yourself and your own mishaps - are key to recovery.

4. A lesson is repeated until learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can go on to the next lesson.

5. Learning lessons does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain its lessons. If you are alive there are lessons to be learned.

6. There is no better than here. When your there has become a here you will simply obtain another there that will again look better than here.

7. Others are merely mirrors of you. You can not love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.

8. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.

9. Your answers lie inside you. The answer to life’s questions lie inside you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.

10. This will often be forgotten, only to be remembered again. So be gentle and forgiving of yourself when you forget and do the things that help you to remember…

Written by
Cherie Carter Scott, PhD

14 Likes

Good stuff

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

I love the ideas in here, bookmarking this! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’d like to hear other peoples views on this :hugs:

This made me cry. Its really beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Very unique perspective.

1 Like