Friends who could be bad influences, how to disconnect with them?

Hello Team, I have one question, everyone here knows that sometimes we have good friends who has the same addiction as us, and usually with that friend we do it together, right know I want to disconnect with them because I feel really bad, but I just can’t do it, I tried it but I can’t, I feel really bad leaving them behind and not seeing them again, any advices on this? Which was your experiences with this kind of friend?

1 Like

My one good friend with whom I sank in to addiction both realised that we were enabling eachother and just drifted apart naturally and gradually, I hope to see him walk through the doors of NA one day.
No advice I’m afraid but maybe explain to your friend that you feed off of eachother and as you are concentrating on your sobriety you feel that it’s best to see less of eachother for a while.
In the grand scheme of things this will not be the hardest thing that you have to do on this journey, if you want to stay clean and this cannot happen whilst hanging with your friend then you need to break contact I’m afraid but you already know this. :frowning::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You gotta do what’s best for you. Its really not good for your own sobriety to be in/around active users. In my experience, I was able to pretty easily figure out that without drink or drugs, the connection with some people wouldnt be there. It wasnt easy to let go of people I considered friends but It didnt feel wrong to do so. I pretty much just did what I can to end the relationships on the best of terms and reinstated the fact that it was purely out of my own wish to get sober and that it didnt really have anything to do with them. A couple of my friends eventually followed suit and also got sober and now we talk occasionally again but itll be sometime before any of us are comfortable in eachothers presence. Just stay true to you.

2 Likes

As much as we love our friends if they are no good to be around cos of addiction I suggest you break away until your more strong in your recovery. We need to change people places and things to give ourselves the best chance to recover and build our life in healthy ways. Why not try aa or na meetings they are a great way to meet soba friends and have people around us to help with recovery x

1 Like

Depends how much you want to get sober , if that means leaving them behind then thats a decision you have to make , i made new ones by going to meetings still have some of them decades later wish you well

1 Like

Your true friends will support you with your decisions.

3 Likes