Full of doubts

This is my first day and I’m already doubting that I can do it. I drink two bottles of wine every night. Well hopefully not any more.

15 Likes

Why do you drink 2 bottles of wine every, single night? How long have you been doing this for? Picture yourself continuing that vicious cycle for that long. You know what’s going to happen to you and how it will effect those around you.

I challenge you to not drink today and then do it again tomorrow and the day after that. Listen to some inspirational videos, clean and organize things in your house to reinforce those positive vibes so that you can stop that doubt plaguing your mind.

Welcome, Tracey and remember, you’re not alone here.

4 Likes

Welcome, @Tracey. Man, was this me. I didn’t realize until around the time I washed up here how much it felt like this never ending cycle. A kind of slow, soul death that was eating away at me.

@CNevarezN is right though. Write out how ya feel right now. What that cycle’s doing for you. And what might it be like instead if you just didn’t drink tonight?

That day at a time mentality is legit. Try just not drinking today. Find something else to do, anything else. The first few can be a little rough, but I can say at least for myself, very quickly I started noticing a lot of things starting to improve.

With time and working through a recovery program with others, mood got so much better I never wanted to go back. I wanted to live again, without a doubt. :pray:

6 Likes

Welcome!

Focus on just staying sober for tonight…don’t stress yourself with thoughts of not drinking tomorrow or the next day. One day at a time. The days will add up before you know it.

3 Likes

Play the tape through till the end what always happens how you feel afterwards and the guilt and shame it causes! That always helps me and try doing a zoom meeting there everywhere at all hours you got this!

1 Like

Hey Tracey…glad that you’re here. Congratulations on choosing something other than oblivion. I was a two bottle of wine a night drinker myself. Towards the end of my drinking I would look forward to every day off so that I could start my drinking early in the day.
One day I said to myself “how much longer are you going to keep doing this to yourself?” I could see the road that I was heading down. It would either slowly or quickly lead toward death…and before that, it would continually lead to less happiness, health, and agency over my life. The other road though…well I didn’t quite know where that would lead. What would I do with my life if I got sober? As scary as it was to get sober…it was also intriguing.

A little over three years later and I can honestly say that my day to day existence, while still marred with the occasional feelings of anxiety or worry, is NOTHING like the life I was living before.

I had an ex who was running his first marathon five years sober. He said that when he got sober…and when he started running, he had no idea where it would lead…he just started putting one foot in front of the other. That’s all we can ever do. Well that and making sure that the pathwe set out on is one that is headed towards the light.
Happy to be here sober with you today :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Welcome! You can do anything if you want to, but you have to want to. Are you doubting that you can or doubting that you want to?

I can understand both.

1 Like

I’m doubtful that I can do it. I’m not drinking tonight though so that’s something I suppose.

1 Like

That is something, something pretty special. That’s how sobriety starts, by not drinking today.

Let me put that doubt to rest; You can do it! I did it, and hundreds others like us did it. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it.

3 Likes

Hey you got this. Focus on yourself and what NEEDS to be done. Only one thing at a time so you don’t get overwhelmed.
I realized when I starting getting sober that I had left so many things to jus thang in the balance. Start a list by priority and just knock out one a day.
It will boost your confidence and help you prosper day by day. Then for your reward
And for more self awareness to know you got this
Keep NOT doing what you are NOT doing

It will only make you stronger.
I promise
Year and half sober. I am
And loving it.
And the struggle I had within myself and others. Only made the journey. That much deeper and me a better person within myself and for the other I care about around me.

You will start to see the positive things come your way and signs that what you are doing is right for you in the moment.
Then just keep going
Head up high don’t let anyone tear it down.
You will get there.
Always with anything stats with yourself
One thing that helped me was getting lost if when I started to think about doing it was picking off the list of something else to do that would occupy my time and mind
Walk on beach , knitting, color book , literally anything you might like to do that’s easy and accessible.
Hang in there!!!

2 Likes

Drank more than one bottle of wine every night as well. Day 15 sober ( I know not a long time).

4 Likes

Thank you for your words. The encouragement does help. I appreciate everyone’s response.

1 Like

That is why I wanted to stop. I wanted to feel alive again. I can’t process things the same . My mind has a hard time focusing . I forget easily . I used to be a damn good multitasker now it is hard to focus on one thing. I feel fatigued and tired now more then ever since I stopped drinking . I feel the heaviness of my depression now more than ever . I stay optimistic but sometimes it is alot for me . I feel like I am carrying the weight of the world over my shoulder. I don’t feel like drinking because I want to and I miss it. I feel like drinking cause of the way it made me feel numb to the life I was living. I didn’t feel anything I was lost in a temporary world of forgetfulness where I felt high and tolerated the world around me like nothing bothered me .

I am great full for this community. Thank you

3 Likes

Tracy,
I drank two bottles of wine at night for the longest time. I thought that I could never do without it. It took me a year of cutting down little by little until I freaked out cause of my health. I will tell you this my mind is alot more clearer. I wouldn’t drive past 5pm because thats when I started drinking every night. All I know was that I wasn’t born with an alcohol dependency, I went without for the first 22 years of my life , I can quit this. Thats what I tell myself when I feel like I might slip up. Don’t put that much pressure on yourself baby steps. Don’t ever tell yourself that you can’t so this .

2 Likes