Fun in sobriety

Id like to know what yall do for fun. Before I did nothing but use. Now I like building go karts, working on cars ect but that gets expensive any ideas on less expensive hobbies?

6 Likes

Simple obstacle courses for my boys with items I had around outside & the garage was good fun. Fishing, hiking, beach searching.

Others will chime in I suspect. Let your imagination work it!

1 Like

I’m just now getting back into my children’s lives it’s rough since their mother and I aren’t together anymore and to be honest I’m really heart broken over it I don’t think I’ll ever get my family back.

Yes you will if you work at it. I lost my girls through using, but through been clean and changing my life it can be done. It takes time because we have created damage to all we love. Remember using is a silent killer, it will rob you of your finances, family and finally of yourself if you do not change. It takes a lot of courage but the damage we created can be repaired if you are willing to work at it. I too thought I would never get my girls or partner back, but when they can see you are totally commited to change and rebuild the trust they have lost in you your relationships with them will slowly get better if you only just work at it.

2 Likes

That’s true I have my children back in my life as far as my wife goes were on good terms but she too was lost in addiction she’s sobered up and I thought maybe she would be different but she’s still just as bad as she was. I pray that she changes how she is but that’s between her and God

2 Likes

Cooking is fun and it’s not too expensive. I like to do baking, simple stuff like cakes and brownies. It’s nothing fancy but I like it and it’s fun - and I can share them when I’m done :innocent:

3 Likes

I do enjoy cooking when it’s not super hot outside.

1 Like

I also really enjoy grilling out! Who knew it could be done without booze :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hi, there. You are new to the world of not using mood altering substances. Give yourself a couple of years to stabilize your brain and your Dopamine receptors. Be patient. Meanwhile, I like the suggestion someone made for cooking. It can be very relaxing. I restore cars, have been since 1979. I was a gym rat before I entered recovery in 1994 and I still enjoy exercise a lot. Two years after graduating from inpatient treatment and entering full time recovery, I went to Novice School here and got a race license to road race motorcycles. That was 1996. I raced a Ducati for 5 years in two states and did a Superbike School at Laguna Seca Raceway one year, right after they resurfaced the track. It was awesome. Going down two stories in the Corkscrew scared the pants off me but once I made it through that set of turns I wanted more of it. You can find lots of things to do if you are patient and network with other recovering persons in your city or area. I have attended AA and CA meetings for over 28 years, some of my best friends are from those meetings and many of the activities I did in my first ten years of recovery were from my meetings.

2 Likes

That’s great advice! Sounds so exciting I too also love motorcycles even after my wreck in 2013. I have a couple of moped I’m playing with right now just for fun but the way gas prices are right now I’m not upset about it.

Try an instrument?? Once you’ve bought the intrument itself it’s really really cheap as a hobby and one you can pick up as and when!

I had a breakthrough when I realised I didn’t want to learn for any big reason like being in a band, or playing a great tune to impress others… I just wanted to play for me, and for the joy of learning!

Now i play a mean claw hammer banjo yeeee haww!!

3 Likes

For me it’s been trying New things. For a while I felt like I was merely existing, now that I’m sober, I’m truly living. I find great joy in being active, running, bike riding, rock climbing, hiking, going to the gym. I also enjoy trying new foods, going to museums, botanical gardens. Doing high adrenaline stuff is really fun as well, like bungee jumping, spartan races, pretty soon sky diving. Things that don’t involve being active are fun as well, like reading, building models, journaling my feelings, volunteering, being there for others, being able to be shoulder to lean on for others is a thing of beauty. Just get out there into the world and try new things, things that interest, even things that scare you at first. It’s nice to get out of comfort zone, it helps you learn a lot about yourself. Hope this helps, much love to you.

2 Likes

:rofl: I’ve always had somewhat a slim build and a fast metabolism so weight has never really been an issue for me actually keeping weight on has been my problem and my addiction didn’t help that. I do workout so I’m just hoping to tone up. Who knows maybe I’ll end up chisled like a Greek God but I doubt it.