Getting through one day

I’m not looking for 100% sobriety. I’m trying to cut back and manage my drinking. I’m trying to get back to casual drinking on the weekends as I am now working M-F. My last jobs schedule allowed me to drink every other day at best. I’m struggling to not drink every day. I don’t get drunk/hammered but I do find myself wanting a few glasses of wine after work. Everytime I say I won’t drink is ALWAYS a night I cave or find an excuse to drink. Not sure if this is the right forum but always accepting of tips and support.

1 Like

Have you ever tried that before? Obviously everyone is different, so if you can do it, more power to you. As for me, I’ve been down that road so many times I’ve lost count. But every time without fail I either end up drinking as much if not more than when I started “managing” my drinking. It never works. I’m currently trying to cut back myself. I’ve only had 4 beers since yesterday. My goal is to quit, but it’s hard to just cut back. I say cut back because I’ve been at about 2.5 cases of beer a week for a while now, plus doing THC gummies. I have been drinking every day of every week for months now, always trying to “manage” what I drink. I just can’t be that person anymore. I’m just slowly killing myself and I need to stop. Just don’t turn out like me.

5 Likes

I’ve tried many times. Also switched from hard liquor to beer and tried setting days that I would drink and days I wouldn’t. Nothing worked because I’m an alcoholic. That started with my first drink as a teenager. I wish you the best of luck.

6 Likes

Online Support.

Not sure if this link will work, but maybe give this place a try?

2 Likes

Let me just say a few things. Several years ago I found I was overdoing the drinking. I thought I could just learn to moderate on my own, didn’t work. Joined moderation management , and their online forum. Eventually I realized it was easier for me to just quit drinking altogether. I struggled for several years with this, all the planning around days to abs and days I can allow one drink or maybe two…. It was all so mentally exhausting ! And all the times I would cheat and drink more than I planned… feel stupid and guilty but determined to try it again. I realized Alcohol is not my friend, it isn’t good for my health. Quitting alcohol for good wasn’t easy , but aim so glad I finally did.

7 Likes

I too tried moderating many times, it didnt work because i cannot stop once i start and ultimately my drinking got progressively worse…eventually i realised i cannot control it…ever… quitting completely is easier than moderating

5 Likes

Hi and welcome here,
This is a sobriaty forum so we do not encourage moderation because when addicted it’s not an option anymore. We can’t have just one, we can’t stop if we pick up. If you can? I do not know. Only you can tell.

I think this above says it all. Who is the “boss” you ore the alcohol?

2 Likes

Bang on its so strange but got me thinking i used to go for a beer at the pub with my dad at 17 /18 to watch football he would sit there quite happily have 1 or 2 for the 2hrs we were there where i was trying to drink 4 or 5 pints to get drunk got to a point where he would say why cant i just have 1 or 2 like him :thinking: i guess that was never on the cards for me as ive never been able to stop i used to say "whats the point of going for 1 or 2 drinks i might as well not drink " trouble is as u go on through your drinking life your tolerance goes up so id start and not finish for a couple of days. Strange how u can read something on here and see into your addiction lol thank you :blush:

3 Likes