GOD, SOBRIETY and ME

I am writing this post as I have hit a plateau with this app.

While I so appreciate the loving support and the early sobriety to remind me why I stay sober I am getting frustrated.

Not by anyone or anything but more so by the tempering I feel towards my language of spirituality. I hold back so much of my faith and my thoughts so that I dont offend anyone with the word GOD.

I too used to be a non-believer and found it incredibly hard to understand a GOD driven by church doctrine and waring factions.

That is not my GOD or hopefully anyone else’s on this board.

The thing is I feel a need to discuss freely with like minded people the spirituality as it pertains to my ability to stay sober and battle the demons that my selfish self-centered ways breed.

If you do not believe in a balancing force of the universe please stop here…

I have struggled for 30 years with this crippling disease and i know that there is no way, I mean no possible way, to stay sober by believing that I am the power for my life.

My self propelled ways brought me to completely demoralizing places again and again. It was when I finally let go of the idea that I ran things that it all began to click.

I long to be in a group on this board where I feel I dont have to govern my words so not to offend and also can share the joys of a loving GOD with like minded people.

Everyday I wake up in such gratitude and everyday I hit a wall because I feel I cant share to the depths of my experience here

Can anyone help me here? I dont want to offend people that have their owns veiws I am very much a live and let live type of person but I cant keep holding back on the one true thing that has saved my life.

5 Likes

You never have to govern your words with me. I’m all for new opinions. I grew up in a country torn apart with a bloody war. Protestant and Catholic neighbours in Northern Ireland do not speak and the government is crippled with religious differences. It put me right off religion.

Now I am free and able to form my own thoughts and embrace others independent thought. Share what you like, we’re never going to agree with people 100% of the time are we?

Gunga…say what u want to you only got one shot at life if ur a buddhist much more but why change ur words n who you are for others xx

1 Like

I doubt anyone would be offended by your own personal beliefs. If you feel a god saved you then that’s what works for you. I don’t see a reason why anyone would look at your own personal story and become chargin.

Having said that, if you try to talk other people into following the same path as you, you’re going to get some (venomous) backlash. No one wants tobe told what to believe in. Not you. Not me.

1 Like

There are several of us that have a very religious life. We speak about it when we need to. I don’t think I can beat this addiction on my own and I am glad I have God to turn to for guidance. I don’t post much about it anymore but it’s not because I’m trying to spare everyone. I am just a lurker until I see things I can offer my experiences on. Or maybe it’s friends I have not seen in months. But I don’t censor my recovery ever!!! I don’t try to offend but I don’t sugar coat anything. I try to let everyone have their voice, it’s a place for them too. So you have every bit of a right to talk about your beliefs. Some will join in others may ignore. But do your program the way you need to

1 Like

Not feeling you are able to openly discuss your beliefs is a feeling I wish on nobody. Just think how atheists have felt for centuries, when it was a crime punishable by death to not believe for example. Be thankful nobody is burning you at the stake!

2 Likes

I love that you said this. I have felt the same way about offending people. I love God and praise him every day and am trying desperately to take my hands off the steering wheel of my life and be completely surrendered.

2 Likes

There is a post for Christians called, ‘Bible Verses For Motivation’. I find it a useful place to express myself by way of scripture interpretation. Not sure if that would be helpful to you.

I like reading your posts. I think you strike a good balance between spiritual and practical advice. I hope this plateau doesn’t mean we will see less of you. You have good insight, and I’ve taken notes from some of your contributions.

1 Like

I know for a fact that I cannot be sober without God. (Honestly I don’t think any of us can). We need a power outside of ourselves that is not human and is all powerful. God created us spiritual beings with an instict deep inside to need him. You and I and many others are finally becoming who we were created to be. What a gift! So many people will never find him because maybe they don’t need him. We NEED him to survive! To live, to take our next breath and we know it. What an amazing revelation this has been to me. What a true gift. I finally get to be my true self! I have run, hid, and worn so many masks in the past. Lead a double life, couldn’t be real. It sucks and it leads to drinking. Being completely your true self and feeling free to express it is a key part to staying sober. At least for me…but probably for you too. So I say the hell with it! Talk about God and his amazing rescue, grace and salvation! He is the ONLY reason both me and my son are alive and healthy today. He deserves all the recognition, honor, glory, thanks and praise we can give him!!

2 Likes

The trouble comes from the facts…

1. no one can sell it. Selling it just won’t work.

2. people need to come to it on their own.

Be the shepard… always guiding, never pushing.

1 Like

All you can do is share what you have experienced. Hopefully people will listen and find it their own way.

1 Like

We all must be able to have rigorous active honestly and be open to a higher power. One should never hold back their beliefs but just be respectful. We are all here for one purpose to stay sober.

1 Like

Don’t cover your light with a pot. Place it on a lampstand for everyone to see. If someone is offended by your faith and its relationship to your sobriety, that is their issue, not yours.

I try to meet people where they are. I won’t tell them to go find Jesus (Jesus finds us). I won’t hesitate to share how faith is central to my life.

Let your light shine!

1 Like

We share our Experience, Strength, and Hope as it relates to our higher power.

Always suggesting it as an example of what works for us.

Keeping in mind Attraction not promotion.

That being said, all things being equal… you really don’t have to worry about anyone telling you your not a member of this club. Lol!!

1 Like

I asked the question if there are any Christians around as i have the same view as you. God has saved my life and i need him to save me from myself. I’m so glad there are people with the same views but i respect and admire all peoples views. God bless man. Pm me any time.

1 Like

Okay, i have been a bit mean and I have a hunger that just cant be satisfied.

Right after I finish dinner I am ready for another.

Its getting somewhat easier. Just feels like a hole yoh cant fill deep inside.

No subs though

Thanks for checking in on me.

Hit one week about an hour ago. I let myself smoke NY Day until the pack ran out at 10:50 PM.

Check that one week box ohhhh yeah!