Going super sober!

Hello everyone! I’ll will or at least try to quit heavy drinking and smoking from today. I have failed many times before… :pensive: Is there any tips/advice to stay sober and not to relapse on days when you feel like alcohol is the only thing you want. Days when you feel like you are not sure if you want to be alive? Thanks!

10 Likes

Quick hello and welcome, keep reading on here and you’ll find all the advice you need, the stuff you don’t agree with is probably the stuff you need to do most bc so far everything you’ve thought has got you drunk. It’s back to the drawing board of life and it’s a blank canvas, fill it with dreams. :+1:

3 Likes

Hey there. Today was one of those days for me. What I did was just let the thoughts of drinking come and then let them go. Sit with those feelings of wanting to drink and think about what’s gonna happen if you do. Your gonna feel like shit, you might end up on a bender and lose your job. You might do something you regret and have those feelings of guilt and shame smashing against your brain the day after as your hung over and sick as fuck.

I don’t know you or your story but sometimes u just gotta embrace the suck as people say around here.

4 Likes

There is a lot of work to do, the most important part is to find balance in your life, find things you love and throw yourself into it. Eat healthy, drink water, work on your mental health, start meditating, start doing exercise. There is so much that you can do and will do, don’t treat this as if you’ve given something up, you’ve given yourself the gift of sobriety that you can see in time is completely worth it. There are days that are hard ahead for sure, I use music a lot to help myself with my moods. Keep reading everyone offers tons of information and emotional support if you need it as well.

But as stated above whatever you were doing before its not working so it all depends on how bad you want your sobriety.

6 Likes

Welcome! One thing I can tell you, after many attempts at long-term sobriety, is that the “not even sure if you want to be alive” gets far better for the majority of people.

Before my past relapse, my mental health was much better and after a relatively short time of drinking again, I was back to suicidal ideation. Alcohol is a proven depressant, a poison. It takes time and hard work to get it out of your system but you’ll be much happier and healthier when you do.

Glad you’re here.

7 Likes

Great choice in going super sober! :raised_hands:
The beginning for me, I read This Naked Mind and always had ice cream and sweets on hand for my cravings. The beginning was a lot of deep breathing and making it through the day. It took me six attempts to get to where I am today (almost 250 days) Each failure, I would write down what happened to make sure I didnt make the same mistake again. Eventually I realized that it was all excuses. So I quit making excuses. Eventually the depression goes away.
After my last relapse I read “Atomic Habits” … I kept the same routine in the mornings:
Wake up -Coffee- Check in on TS- Make bed -Yoga- Run…
Never skipped a day on my routine (especially the yoga) for like 7 months. I think that was really helpful this time around. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Get and stay busy doing stuff you like to do.

1 Like