Going to my first AA meeting tonight, yay

I once again woke up feeling completely embarrassed ashamed of myself. I have been starting fights with everyone I love and destroying these relationships. I got jealous last night over something and completely lost it. Chugged the bottle and turned into a monster. Then it resulted in major anxiety attacks and crying fits for the next 10 hours. I finally decided enough was enough. I made a refural with a therapist and am going to try a meeting. Im only 24, so im embarrassed people will think its a joke im there. But ive struggled with alchohol abuse since i was 14. I cant live this way anymore.

14 Likes

Im soo glad ur going to a mtg. They are wonderful in my opinion and very very helpful! I was 21 when i entered my 1st 12 step meeting. After realizing what drugs have done to me over n over, I knew i needed help and couldnt do this alone. What I have learned is that what other people think of me is none of my business honestly. You are there for YOU! And the only requirement to attend any 12 step mtg, is the desire to want to quit. You have that desire! Follow thru with ur plan to attend. U may be plesantly surprised at how welcoming everyone is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You couldn’t be more wrong, my friend. We love to see people coming in and reaching out for help, young, old and in between.

The greatest gift I got at my first AA meetings was HOPE. Seeing that it’s possible for others to recover, to live without shame and guilt, that gave me hope.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your recovery.

5 Likes

Good luck with the meeting! I just started going this week and am only 20. Everyone has welcomed me with open arms and taken me very seriously and I’m sure you will have the same response!

4 Likes

I think I was about 23 when I realized I had a problem but shrugged it off for a long time. About 32 before I sought any kind of help or admitted it to people but I only ever drank alone. I was in a rehab once with everyone from 16 to 60 year olds and I don’t think it ever occurred to anyone there was an age difference. Good for you and I hope you really enjoy it.

2 Likes

Please don’t be embarrassed. It’s people who are older and haven’t learned their bad habits……but in AA, no one judges you. Everyone is a drunk & it’s good to hear stories that you can relate to. Please, never be embarrassed in something that you are trying to fix. Keep your head up!

3 Likes

I know it’s a hard step to take, but I know when I walked through the doors of my first meeting, I was welcomed with open arms. I was extremely nervous, had a lot going on with a pending DUI case, and I just knew after sitting down in the room, that I now had hope. I now lead AA meetings once a week and have made some lifelong friends in the 19 months I have been sober. Honestly, I love AA and everything the program has given me.

4 Likes

Thats great your going to meetings age dosnt matter, when i went to meetings in the early days i used to think at 34 i was young and what was i doing with these old gits lol . but i came to love them and respect them, im sure your journey will be fruitful wish you well

3 Likes

You’ve made a decision to live life differently, timing is everything, not how much time you’ve been alive.
Several of the folks in my home group started in thier teens. Shit I should have been in em too in my teens but it took me a few minutes to wake up…
Sounds like you are awake. Hugs to ya and glad you’re here.

3 Likes

I wish I thought about quitting at 24 it would have saved a lot of misery and money, not for me my ex wife got all the misery and the money :rofl:I was happy drinking and taking heaps loads of drugs… its all fun until its not.

3 Likes