Going to my first meeting tomorrow

I’m going to my first meeting tomorrow, I’ve talked about going a lot but it was always when I was under the influence so I wouldn’t have to follow up on it bc I could say things like “oh well I was drunk” or “hm did I? I don’t remember saying that.” When confronted about not following through. But I made the decision today to pour out what I had left and to find a meeting near me to go to tomorrow. I’m very nervous about going for so many reasons, like is there going to be a lot of people there? Am I going to have to talk at the first meeting? Are people going to take me seriously considering I’m not even 21 yet? Idk I guess I’m just really in my head about it and wanted to just make a post just to let these thoughts and feelings out to someone that might be able to relate, or just bc I’m not known by anyone on here so it’s easier to post things like this.

13 Likes

So first and foremost! There isn’t a single person in here that hasn’t felt that exact same way. Honestly just from hearing what I just read, you my friend definitely could benefit from a meeting I’m guessing (every thing from here forward is only personal opinions) Lots will give advice on what you should and shouldn’t do. The only one single thing that is FACT “Don’t pick up that drink” everything else just opinions. In my opinion, everyone has their VERY own path to recovery… The question is what’s your path? So perhaps only take it one day at a time. Perhaps give that meeting a chance. If doesn’t stick than try a different meeting! Sobriety has saved my life. Without going into any details, ALL that’s mattered and ALL that will ever matter is “don’t pick up that drink.” I’m rooting for you. I truly am!

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words they mean a lot to me. I have high hopes about the meeting even though I’m scared about walking in because I’ve been in therapy for 4 years and that alone has helped me so much and helped me to get to this point where I’m quitting and I am reaching out to communities like this one and local meetings near me.

2 Likes

Just go in a little earlier, like 5 minutes grab a cup of coffee n breathe! You got this!!

2 Likes

Congrats on taking the first step of acceptance. Ive found meetings to be extremely beneficial. If you arent ready to share you can just pass. But take on the challenge of being engaged in your recovery sooner than later. Your shares will help others and it will feel therapeutic for you. Wish you well. Keep us posted.

5 Likes

I was SO nervous about my first meeting! I also didn’t have an open mind yet as I went to support someone else but I deep down knew I really needed it too. It’s been one of the best decisions of my life as working my program has really helped me change everything. Great decision! :heart:

4 Likes

My first meeting i sat on my hands wasnt asked to talk but made welcome and i was home thats why ive been going now for decades ,im sure your be ok get phone numbers wish you well

4 Likes

My first meeting was the best thing I had done for myself in nearly 9 yrs. I felt like I was home and the folks there understood me & cared. I did get a guys phone list too so I could reach out when I was struggling. Hugs & welcome to TS!

1 Like

Looking for a meeting to attend also. Im not big on sharing much and dont do well in groups. We will see. I am aware ther are many paths to staying sober.
Good luck to you.

1 Like

There are also online meetings as well that I find helpful. They have many different options, AA, NA, Marijuana addiction, al-anon, etc. It may be worth checking out one if you struggle with in person meetings. I’ve done both but my primary recovery has transpired online. That path isn’t for everyone but it has helped me. In person I have found the option is there to get more direct personal support so that is a really good route as well.

1 Like

My wife goes to allanon. I just am not real comfortable sharing my junk with strangers and others.
She is adamant that online doesnt work, but I have programs through work that are online and free and have good results/ reviews.
I am mild but with a high tolerance. Didnt drink everyday ect…
Im just upended at the present.
Thanks