Golfers in Recovery

I play a lot of golf and with that comes drinking typically. It’s always been hard. Even when I tell myself I’m not going to once I am at the course my self discipline seems to vanish.

Anyone else a golfer? Any recommendations on how to stay strong would be appreciated.

3 Likes

For me, it was as simple as realizing it didn’t help my score. I also always walk, usually carrying my own clubs. So, its just a hassle to have any type of drink other than a bottle of pop or water that I can put in my bag.

Maybe start there… do you usually walk the course? That’s my first bit of advice, skip the golf cart!

Wish you well!

2 Likes

I used to walk all the time but definitely got lazy. I’ll try that out this weekend! Thanks

2 Likes

I used to bartend for Pinehurst Resort. I’ve been sober now 81 days. Had to step away from the way I was living and handling my life. When I golf I just enjoy the nature with my coffee or water. Being in my sobriety has become more enjoyable in the moment than what used to have a drink with it. I know a lot of guys do the non alcoholic drinks.

3 Likes

We gotta get a round in together if you are still in the area! The N.A. beers are a good option. Congrats on 81 days too!

1 Like

I already knew when I saw recruiter lol
I said, this guy probably in the area hah. Be easy brother.

1 Like

When i played i was just thinking about the 19th hole {BAR) i enjoyed it more when i got sober more relaxed as it was invented here in the promised land made it more enjoyable ,was down at Troon for the open

1 Like

Golf, fishing, hunting, watching sport with the lads is often an excuse for drinking. The activity is actually secondary to the drinking. You can still play golf, but realize that the drinking is a choice and not mandatory

2 Likes

I hear you, but echoing some of the similar advice that has already been said, coffee, or even a nice cold coke goes a long way! Breath in that morning dew and you will be surprised how much you enjoy your sober round!

2 Likes