Got that off my chest

So back in December, I wrote a letter to my dad about getting sober… long story short, I chickened out when it came to sending it… I have always been so scared to disappoint my dad because he always has thought so highly of me. Then it became a situation where I felt like I didnt have enough sober time to justify telling him… blah blah JUST DO IT DANIELLE! gahhh :woman_facepalming: So finally did that, through text because I didnt want to cry on the phone…

Moral of the story:
It shouldn’t matter the sober time, expectations, or whatever other story you can make up in your head about these things. If you feel like it needs to be done, then do it :yellow_heart:

37 Likes

Awww, yay!!! We worry more about the things that can go wrong than what usually ever happens. I’m glad it went so well! :heart: Proud of you lady!

2 Likes

Bet that felt amazing, well done. Your dad sure sounds impressed and very proud and so he should be xx

1 Like

Nice job!! And yeah for your Dad too!

1 Like

He got sober when was about 2 and a half, right after my parents divorced (largely in part to drinking a drug use from what I understand). My dad has been a total square my whole life, I can’t even imagine him a drunk! If it weren’t for his sobriety I don’t think I would have ever been sober myself.

8 Likes

Congratulations Danielle!
Fear of the unknown can seem terrifying and that’s awesome you made that leap and it’s great your dad responded the way he did! Really happy for you :heart:

2 Likes

That took real courage and a great response. Just lovely to read :blush:

1 Like

Thinking on this a little more realizing that this will be my influence on my kids as well, since they are about the same age I was. They will never know me any other way either :pray::yellow_heart:

10 Likes

Reminds me of @MoCatt’s saying, if I play my cards right my kids will never know me as a drunk. :heart: Pretty powerful stuff!

6 Likes

Drinking is easy. So is falling into a pit. Sober is hard. So is climbing out of a pit.

The easy path leads to a harder life. The hard path leads to an easier life. You have discovered the truth in this dichotomy, and I am sure your Dad is immensely proud of your choice to walk the hard path, because he wants you to have an easier life.

3 Likes

Needed to hear this today, I have nether actually spoken to my parents about my recovery even tho I am living with them at the moment. I’m 2 and a half years sober now and feel like I’m ready to tell them how proud I am of myself! So much love to everyone on hear x

5 Likes

It felt so good, and as I’ve learned time and time again… the response is never anything you’ve made up in your head lol. Good luck to you!

1 Like

I love this. :heart: I’m sure it will bring you even closer to your Dad. That took a lot of courage.

2 Likes

That is so inspirational! Your kids will feel the same about you, what a blessing. I hope my grandson will never know me as a drunk. :heart:

5 Likes

Beautiful. It’s lovely to see the sobriety shared in your family. You are lucky to be able to support each other.

2 Likes

Love this post so much @DanielleRae! Outstanding!

2 Likes

Great to see this. Nice one @DanielleRae!

2 Likes

So heartwarming! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Wowowow. That made me cry :sob: thanks so much for sharing, that is so amazing. :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Now you know what being a “square” is - someone with a deep serenity, not too shaken by the vicissitudes of daily living. :heart:

2 Likes