Gotta get more stuff off my chest

I’m not here to make myself look bad, of throw anyone off with this topic , but ,

For the longest time I thought I was never an angry , or could come off as an abusive drunk.

But the more I’m starting to talk to be and be open about my alcoholism , people have claimed I’ve come off as aggressive and “kind of abusive” , or just really annoying as like I had tunnel vision or could really only stick to one set of way which came off as stubborn if that makes sense.

I’m not proud of some of this I’ve heard coming back to me because deep down when I’m sober I’m the complete opposite. I’ve also been convinced this whole time I was never an issue when I was drunk from what I felt seeing as, I still worked , cleaned myself everyday, attended to chores and cooked my meals . (Guess I was black out more then I expected) .
But maybe these are some of the first incidents that are all starting to clue in because of how foggy my brain and memory has been literally been for the last decade.

I think it could be triggers with trauma of my past and what I’ve been through , those kinds of things. When I did have bad encounters with alcohol or under the influence , it has been around abusive people in the past. My ex girlfriends dad who I used to live with was a very abusive drunk, and came off as really intimidating at that time , and used to keep me up all hours of the night yelling and screaming while I was trying to get sleep for work and be up at the crack of dawn those days. I remember stuff like that still somewhat bothering me to this day because in those time periods even with that issue , and outside in my own personal life issues it was a really hard time for me.

I wonder if this behaviour I’m starting to show in once a blue moon behavior I’ve kind of picked up and inherited over the time that is slowly turning into someone who I claimed I never wanted to be, or if there’s more of an underlying issue ?

In a way I’m lucky that whoever I’ve hurt in the process has come back and told me I’m a good guy and that they knew that wasn’t the real me and I was just going through a lot, but deep down the guilt and shame is still there. I feel so ignorant , and honestly not proud of who I am. I feel extremely vulnerable to share this stuff to this community but I truly have nobody to talk to about this right now, and I’m back on day 2 almost and emotions and cravings are high . I also gotta get rid of my empties collection today. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I can totally relate

I’ve been told i was aggressive while drunk also. I could remember some and not other times. Its definitely a struggld to accept this fact but its true for me.

Thank you for the post

2 Likes

@Noshame

Thanks , I just had to let this one off my chest this morning cause I really ain’t got anyone to talk to about it right now .

2 Likes

I was blacked out one night screaming at my husband, accusing him of insane things and he took a video. The voice I was speaking in was not my own. I did it, but that was not who I am at my core.
The best apology is changed behavior.
Oof, I have not thought of that night for years.
We can change.

3 Likes

It’s a big step to truly confront how we treated others while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It serves as a great reminder about how important it is to stay sober.

2 Likes

I 100% can relate. I hate hurting people but thankfully they still accept me and understand I’m sober now. Drunk me is not the real me. What I love about this community is we relate to one another so well in one way or another. My wife doesn’t understand “blacking out” when drunk. I guess she was a better “drinker” than I WAS! Thanks again for sharing, more often than not some of us can relate. You are not alone 🫶🏽

3 Likes

The steps of the AA program are designed to relieve us of the burden of guilt and shame and to make whole those we have harmed. I was well prepared by the process when it came time to make amends.

2 Likes

Heyy drew

:slight_smile:

Yes its very hard to come to terms with

Id do things under the influence id never do sober

Have a good sober day ok
No need to pick up :slight_smile:

2 Likes