Great Movies/Shows for Recovery 2020 to present

In his 7th Dark Tower book he briefly goes into his drinking. But in book 5 he writes Father Callahan as an alcoholic that only another alcoholic could write.

Now you got me wanting to read that book again! Lol. I haven’t read it in recovery.

2 Likes

He has been my favorite author since I clutched my rosary to my chest each night while reading Salem’s Lot back when it first came out.

The Stand is probably my favorite novel.

3 Likes

I watch Frozen and Moana pretty much every day and I haven’t relapsed the entire time I’ve been watching them. Coincidence? I think not.

7 Likes

Ahhhh the Disney movies. My young one likes movies like Teen Beach and Decendents He loves the singing and dancing

2 Likes

I loved it when he was tempted, when ally he shut was going down and he smashed the bottle into pieces. Man, that was powerful. Made me cry.

1 Like

See, I gotta read it now that I’m sober. It’s been about 5 years since I read book 5. And while back then I related to the alcoholic, now I can relate to the Recovering alcoholic

1 Like

Almost every movie with a moral hits home to me in a way now it didn’t before recovery. Like, anytime anyone overcomes anything I shed a tear.

I hadn’t seen Up until a few months ago. Wrecked me.

Thanks for this. I’ll have to check out The Day the Earth Stood Still!

2 Likes

Exactly! Right? And it just reminds me that, man, how fragile life is and how I am so much better off this way. Sober. I’m literally happy and proud of myself and just generally feel like I’m unfucking myself. Sorry for the candidness, but it’s true.

3 Likes

I watched Cast Away with Tom Hanks not long ago and the scene where her builds his raft and finally gets past the ginormous waves really hit me as overcoming the first few weeks of my new journey. I’m at 60 days today and still picture that scene in my head. Its helped me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love Postcards From The Edge. The song at the end is so amazing knowing that it was all possible because she finally got her sobriety together.

Plus the “back up” band is one of my all time favourites…Blue Rodeo.

I haven’t seen that in ages. I need to rewatch it.

2 Likes

The book is amazing. Carrie Fisher was a talented woman and Meryl Streep does a great job portraying her. Shirley Maclaine is amazing as Debbie Reynolds. What a complicated beautiful painful relationship they had. So very sad when they passed away. Carrie fought so hard for so long. :heart:

2 Likes

Clean and sober with Michael Keaton. Good movie. Also the sitcom Mom is based on recovery.

2 Likes

Must be at least 10 characters…
ET… :hugs::point_up::alien::telephone_receiver::derelict_house::stars::full_moon::biking_man:

1 Like

Cool topic. The 2 that come to mind for me are Everything Must Go with Will Ferral wich has a very empowering message. And even though it kind of takes my man card I really loved the movie A Star Is Born with Lady Gaga and Bradly Cooper because it really hits home. I had a very hard military enlistment wich led to me becoming a raging alcoholic and 3 suicide attempts.

3 Likes

I love Mom. I loved this week about Christie getting excited that she might be “allowed” to smoke again. Soooooo relatable. Desperate for some vice. LOL

3 Likes

I loved The Day the Earth Stood Still. It got looked over when it came out, but the message is something that resonates a lot with me. Change. It’s all about finally seeing the need for change, and accepting that you will change.

2 Likes

It is a great show, its a lighthearted take on recovery.

2 Likes

How about Rocketman? Opinions??

2 Likes

I’ve not seen it yet but you are the second person to ask me about it so I’m gonna assume it’s great LOL and I’m gonna try to watch it sometime soon… :slightly_smiling_face:

Wake In Fright. Horrifying Australian film about alcohol abuse and toxic masculinity. Not for the faint hearted but a very powerful movie.