Great Movies/Shows for Recovery 2020 to present

Hmmmm…that sounds very intense!!

There was a programme in the UK called The Virtues… (bound to be on YouTube or Netflix) found it quite a tough watch, as I hadn’t really come to terms with the fact that I had an issue when watching it.

Cracked Up: The Darryl Hammond Story

Watched it on Netflix last week.

It’s so amazing for me to see the pain and struggle that can occur behind perceived success. Incredibly powerful to see the way trauma relates to addiction. For people who struggle with self-harm it may be triggering but also very enlightening to see a path through it.

4 Likes

It was pretty deep, wasn’t it? Man, he is an incredible guy. And how he found him being funny at a young age was his safe place, basically. I can relate to some of his history.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation…it has been on my list!

Yeah, I had no clue he had that sort of battle going on. You just don’t expect such incredible talent to come from such toxic soil. And the way he learned to embrace it and tell his story to help others was very hopeful. Also, the way they showed that he still faces the day to day imperfections was important for me to see.

1 Like

I watched Collateral Beauty…wow what a film I really enjoyed it…also love little miss sunshine and…captain fantastic…

Little Miss Sunshine is fantastic. I should watch that again.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen it a few times bloody brilliant film

1 Like

Captain fantastic has the same kind of feel to it you should give that a go also x

2 Likes

A film about addiction and family rather than recovery. Katharine Hepburn is incredible as the morphine addicted mother and Jason Robards does a great job as the alcoholic son. Really good :+1:

I really enjoyed the virtues,Stephen Graham made it special. I would imagine that you found the first episode quite hard to watch if you were at that stage of realising your own issue.
Shane meadows is a brilliant writer/director have you seen his other films or series? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone! I am currently in full lockdown mode. I’m the caretaker for my parents and they are elderly. So because of the Covid numbers I rarely leave the house currently so I’ve been binge watching shows late at night. I’ve really been into movies and shows on recovery.

So far my favorites have been…Beautiful Boy, Smashed (Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad is in this & this movie hit really hard for me. It was like watching a movie about my life & my fucked up toxic former relationship. Emotional for sure), also really enjoyed 28 Days, When a Man Loves a Woman, Wild, & just watched A Million Little Pieces.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance & have a healthy & peaceful weekend.

6 Likes

Sound of Metal is good, available on Prime

1 Like

Don’t worry, he won’t get far on foot.

3 Likes

Welcome Kate :smiley: Try Flight and Rocket Man. Rocket Man is on Hulu right now too.

1 Like

I just watched ‘Beautiful Boy’ recently too, and it’s still on my mind. Such a great film. ‘The Basketball Diaries’ is another good one.

1 Like

Check out Mary Go Round on Prime.

A million little pieces is a brilliant book :trophy:

Flaked is a brilliant series :grinning:

2 Likes