Grieving The Loss of My Best Friend (alcohol)

Today marks 83 days sober for me and as I’m becoming used to the “I don’t drink” life, yesterday was hard. I found myself thinking about alcohol a lot during the day and in to the evening. My cousin just got engaged and we had a celebration dinner last night. As the toasts and cheers kept going, I became more and more irritated with the fact that I was sitting there with sparkling cider instead of champagne. I missed my old friend, I missed the drink in my hand. I started going down the path of thinking too far in the future and the “oh my God, I never get to drink again.” I started to cry feeling lonely and lost even though I was in the comfort of my loving and supportive family. Today is a new day, and I’m trying to focus on one day at a time, but as I approach my 3 month mark, it seems to be harder these days with the thought of “well hey I went 3 months, I think i can have a couple now.” :disappointed:

21 Likes

You arent alone. I grieved my “good friend” alcohol too. Try reframing your thoughs from what you are missing to what you are gaining thru sobriety.

I hope you keep fighting for sobriety one day at a time. You are worth it.

8 Likes

I also went thru a phase of grieving. We as addicts and alcoholics are not like “normal” people. We cant have just one or 2 of anything bcuz we go to extremes. I first had to find acceptance in this. Real acceptance in the fact that i am a recovering addict. Then i had to reframe what i was actually missing. It may seem that i was missing out on celebration and socialization etc etc. But what i was REALLY missing out on what financial debt, i was missing out on feeling like shit the next morning, hungover, feeling full of guilt and shame, missing out on massive arguments with others or not knowing what i did the night before. U are missing out on things by not drinking, but they are good things to be missing out on! :smiley: we arent like other people. And thats okay! Over time i have really found gratitude and joy in not being able to use bcuz another way of living is slowly coming forth for me. Give urself time. Things wont get better if u drink. Dont let that alcoholic voice try to convince u otherwise. U got this!!

11 Likes

I went through the same on my first attempt. Felt like an ild friend died. Everywhere I looked, it reminded me of that old friend. I missed it. I romanticized it, in the end, I relapsed because of that.

It didn’t take long before I was back drinking everyday and hating life and myself again.

I realized, alcohol is no friend. Nothing of value was ever gained from alcohol, but I sure did lose a lot because of it. I lost money, my drivers license, respect, trust, self esteem, my well being. Friends don’t take all that and give nothing in return.

It took some time, but I realized that everything I thought alcohol gave me, like confidence, charm, courage… it was all inside me all along, I just needed to find other ways to bring it out.

If you’re considering “just a few”, use the magnifying glass at the top and search “I thought I could control it” and read the countless stories where others thought the same and how it didn’t end well. I know that always helps me back down to earth.

13 Likes

Thank you! Needed that today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very well done on your 83 :muscle::blue_heart:

Best friends don’t ruin your life, take everything from you then come back and try to kill you for good measure.

It’s your worst enemy and you need to treat it like that. Fuck missing it, romanticising it, painting out to be anything else but what it is.

Absolute fucking misery in liquid form.

8 Likes

Can you imagine if our best friend treated us like booze, they wouldn’t be around for long

7 Likes

When you’re past grieving, consider this: alcohol has robbed you so much that you’re feeling disconnected from your FAMILY. Keep stacking that days and work on your recovery. Addiction is an all-consuming fatal disease.

4 Likes

I hear you. I’ve felt that before. Why can’t I enjoy alcohol like a normal person? But I am not normal and even when I think I can moderate it’s a slippery slope into problematic drinking. Life is definitely better for me sober.

5 Likes

Alcohol never was your friend. It is in fact your vile enemy. It will not lead you to good things.

2 Likes

It’s not “just a couple” tho, if you had that “just a couple” it’s the start of a slow slide, imperceptibly slow, but only in one direction (back down) and you could lose a few years of your life to the bottle again before you wake back up to what’s happening.

3 Likes

I can’t stand that word normal grrrrr we are normal Jesus

This is true, unfortunately. See it all the time in the rooms. Sober for even several years, go back out and are able to have a few weeks of “normal” drinking ( hate that too @meg2, it’s not normal to drink poison), but then it pretty quickly gets as bad as it ever was or worse, hitting yet another unnecessary bottom. Majority says they stopped going to meetings/lost touch with sober community.

We are sober one day at a time. Sobriety is meant to be celebrated, but also protected as we don’t know what tomorrow may bring.

4 Likes

Yup. A lot of alcoholics mourning their old friend. Me, too. But then you realise, it’s just suicide in instalments. It eats your liver, pancreas, nerves and feelings.

I hope I’ve used the correct english term.:wink:

4 Likes

That my friends, is why I’m here TODAY