Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products) (Part 1)

I have been craving a smoke all day. Most days I dont anymore.

All day on the water and now that I’m home. Then I remembered i had 600 days soon. I checked my counter and bam!

Better than 600 days! :muscle:

13 Likes

Very well done Jason. :+1::no_smoking::fish::grin:

3 Likes

this made me smile and laught
Yes indeed its better than 600 days! Way to go Jason! Impressive work. Glad you were able to get past the cravings. It is weird when they come on so strong after so long. Glad we don’t do that anymore :wink:

3 Likes

Congrats @JasonFisher those fricken cravings are sneaky. Keep leading the way my man

3 Likes

I am exactly 12 days now tobacco free!!! :raised_hands:t3:

10 Likes

Hell yeah! Way to fight for your freedom @Ashley_luvz_starz

3 Likes

Hey yall, just curious what your nicotine withdrawal symptoms were like and how long they lasted :smile_cat:

Unfortunately, I’m still hooked on cigarettes but I’m planning to quit them in the next 2 weeks to 2.5 months or so. Basically once I’ve been away from my DOC long enough that I have the focus capacity to. Just wondering what the withdrawal was like and how long it lasted for yall to prepare myself. :slight_smile:

I currently smoke a cigarette every 2-4 hours or so until bedtime. So it’s probably about 4-8 cigarettes a day, so I’m guessing I’ll have a bit of a bad withdrawal? Thanks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey @john_connor1337 i started my nicotine quit after 1 year sober as my primary focus was getting a solid sobriety foundation. But if you feel ready to start your quit go rught ahead! I was an everyother breath vaper and didnt have too many symptoms but the cravings and habits were intense to break.

We’re here for support!!

4 Likes

Day 4 of no vaping. Definitely harder this time round. 20mg vapes are the devil. Fruity, sugary, nicotine laden devil. No wonder kids are absolutely hooked on them.

8 Likes

As Big Tobacco says, “vaping is all about creating safer products for our customers”. Right. Keep going Nick. You’re doing great.

6 Likes

Like with all addictions, you need a plan. Set a date and make a plan friend. 2.5 Months is too far off. IMHO. BTW, numbers say that quitting all substances together gives a higher chance of success than trying one after another. Don’t use your recent sobriety of one substance as an excuse to postpone quitting another. Just saying.

For me nicotine withdrawal was serious, but on the other hand it wasn’t worse than a good case of the flu. With added insomnia. Lasted about a week, 10 days, and physical withdrawal was over after that. The habit remained, and it took a lot longer to get rid of that. I actually still chew on toothpicks on occasion, 8.5 years after quitting. Which is fine with me. Wishing you all success.

5 Likes

Interesting, thanks :smiley: tbh ive heard the opposite about quitting everything at the same time from my addiction therapist and others. So I’m not sure which way to believe :thinking:

2 Likes

My nicotine withdrawal got easier after day three. The physical and mental lasted longer. I could and still can think myself into a nicotine fit. its much easier for me now, but every now and then I get a craving and get edgy like I need a fix. Its easy to see it and change it now. When I work with someone who smokes, I feel grateful to be free as I watch them get their fix.

I did a lot of steep, aggressive hikes the first couple of months, and I had to stay away from smokers. I still prefer to stay away from smokers. the hikes helped me appreciate not smoking, and made me tired so I could sleep as much as possible. For far to long the only time I didn’t smoke was while I was sleeping.

The physical part of the addiction was harder than nicotine for me. Holding my breath helped me get through severe cravings too.

Congrats @nick_1985 four days is awesome!

8 Likes

The withdrawal may be stronger when quitting all at once. So when you quit alone it might be more dangerous. I work in a detox where people come to quit everything at once, and where it is safe to do so. I guarantee you the numbers prove me right. Could do a little pubmed search for you but a bit hard to come up with the right search terms atm.

5 Likes

I had to quit smoking first and then tackled the rest as I was unable to do them all at the same time. Every time I’ve given up smoking I felt super fatigued.
As others mentioned, the cravings and routines are the hard stuff to deal with and break.

I used nicotine 2mg gum mixed it with mint gum so that I didn’t get addicted to this a long with a hypnosis app that really helped me this last time.

Read through the thread as you prepare yourself to mentally get ready to quit. Many great tips and journeys to read through.

We will be here to support you through the journey

6 Likes

I only smoked while using my D.O.C. so smoking was never a problem unless i was strung out but those nicotine patches cause very very lucid dreams like wow!!

3 Likes

Bless your heart for helping addicts & it must feel so rewarding right?

3 Likes

Hello. I quit a year and 18 days after quitting liquor. I smoked about two handfuls of tobacco a day out of my pipe for many many years. Quitting was something that I was contemplating for a little while, my final decision to quit was inspired by @Cjp because she kicks ass! I did it cold turkey and I felt like I was suffering through every miserable minute for about a week. No sleep, nervous and anxious and stressed out, at times I was even crawling in my skin. That is one very uncomfortable feeling. But once all that let up the hardest thing to deal with was the ritual of tending to my pipe. I kept my hands super busy in the early days. Cravings still come but they are a breeze to overcome because the benefits of not smoking are so much better. Fuckin hard to do but very worth it. Good luck to you :no_smoking:

7 Likes

Thanks homie, yeah I am definitely going to quit cigarettes soon for sure. Cigarettes fucking suck tbh. I think for now it’s a bit too early to quit as I’m still focused on my DOC addiction for now since I’m only 16 days in. But definitely soon I shall quit cigarettes for sure :smile_cat:

If I end up relapsing on my DOC before the time I wanna quit cigarettes at, I’ll probably just be like “fuck it dooood” and just quit both at the same time like @Mno suggested. But hopefully I don’t end up ever relapsing on my DOC :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Thanks friend. It’s a good work place to be at this moment in time and this point in my life. When it works right we all learn and grow from what we all do together there.

3 Likes