Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products) (Part 1)

Bad dreams last night. Wanted a cig went I got up. Read some stuff on here. Thanks for being here.

6 Likes

Actually. Now I kinda want cig-shaped Fig Newtons as a quit tool. :yum:

1 Like

Today was a craving day. This too shall pass

4 Likes

Day one today… told those fuckers no! After 18 years was easier than I though … felt like something I just did rather then needed… much easier than alcohol so far hope that continues

4 Likes

Congrats on your determination and day one!!

2 Likes

Day six. How is it going everyone?

4 Likes

Awesome. Tonight will mark 7 days. Definitely looking for something to do after laundry, after dinner, driving. But I’m managing to push the thoughts out. Now it feels I’m constantly redirecting my thoughts about smoking. “I’m not doing that anymore so…” I’m glad I don’t have to be tied to the chore of smoking, hiding from my kids(even though they knew),going out in the cold, coughing in the morning. Whew hope everyone is doing well and not questioning their decision.

5 Likes

Especially driving (which I don’t do that often since I don’t have a car myself) after more than 5 years I still chew a lot of tooth picks. Funny fact is I used to everywhere, including work. But now I no longer can bc I have to carry a mask during work I’ve stopped that. And the habit is broken, I hardly do it at home or anywhere now.
And NOBODY should question their decision to quit. Quitting is a work of love. Congrats on a full week of freedom Emily @Blake11 ! Keep going. all. You’re doing great…

4 Likes

This is a meh day 7. I know it gets easier after the magical 10. Nothing drastic, just when I feel uncomfortable the easiest way to deal with it would be inhaling a long smoke. Grateful that I have more tools to handle these moments than I had before.

4 Likes

10 days behind. It does get easier :slightly_smiling_face: Sleep is kind of crap and I still have some stubborn moments of craving. Otherwise it’s pretty great :+1:

3 Likes

just finished food so that means get a short craving

4 Likes

How are all the grumpy A-holes doing these days in their fight with the nicodemon? Hope you’re staying strong friends.

3 Likes

Day 721 here… coming up on two years which is exciting! The obsession to smoke is gone which is fantastic. Sometimes I still make myself anxious thinking about what I did to my body all those years and if it will come to haunt me later…this is the kind of thinking that led to me drinking using and smoking in the past. These habitual thought patterns are a slow process though.

I watched that movie “Defending your Life” last night, the one from the early 90s with Meryl Streep and Albert Brooks. Not to go on about it, the main crux is talking about how in order to evolve in our lifetimes here on earth we have to stop living out of fear.

As recently as December, I had a bout for about five days during my birthday where I was frozen in fear essentially on the couch. Thinking “what if I have this type of cancer and this one??” (These are NOT thoughts I had growing up…and it feels strange now to even admit this is where my thinking goes.)

In my drinking, using, smoking days I would really let the thought even get that far…I would just squash it with substance.

I’d like to think that three years sober I would be out of this way of thinking. But I’m not.

But now…instead of getting obliterated…or even getting stuck for TOO long, I made a doctor and dentist appointment. Honestly in my 20s and early 30s I didn’t even realize that I had these fears…I couldn’t hear them over the loud noise that was substance.

Now my mother, who passed a few years ago…had the same fear of finding out she was ill…and never got over that avoidance pattern really.

So this is a lengthy way of me saying: it feels like progress. There are myriad reasons we hide ourselves in substance. And it can take a long time to untangle those knots. Each habit is like a separate string. But I’m happy to be untangling it all with others who understand what it’s like to be tangled. I hope everyone out there is good today💛

5 Likes

Good morning. Day 16 smoke free. Day 57 drink free. I too worry @ELY83. I think to myself I’m finally getting into act 2 of my life happy and sober. Will it be too late? My mom was never a drinker but she did smoke. And she died 8 months after quitting. Unrelated to smoking. But it still is a fear. That was 21 years ago. I was 17.

5 Likes

Hi Menno @Mno! Thx for checking up. I’m on day 15 and doing ok. Cravings yes, thought of buying a pack, no. Today’s mantra: “I’m bigger than my emotions”.

4 Likes

Wise words @ELY83 I too think I’m a mess but it took time to realize it. Now that I can address the mess I’m hopefully able to do sthng about it.

2 Likes

It boggles my mind that I’ve been alcohol free for 1Y 4M but I didn’t kick this awful habit of smoking. Yesterday though I decided enough was enough. I was talking to a friend of mine and I found out that a mutual friend of ours is going to die of cancer. It’s terminal and he’s been given 6 months. That just scares me man…

My wife and I plan to go the IVF route to have kids when I get back in 6 months. I’m very fortunate to be in the position I am. Smoking is the last of my bad vices. I honestly don’t even have the urge to smoke any more. I’m still using the patches the medics gave me. Yesterday afternoon during my lunch hour was my last cig. I’m never smoking another cig again.

6 Likes

Awesome @CNevarezN! Admirable determination and all the reasons to skip smoking. Who needs it (not me for 17 days now)! I wish you and your wife all the luck with the IVF. Sorry about your friend, stay strong for him :heart:

2 Likes

18 days without nic :sun_with_face: first day without coffee :confounded: this is way harder :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the encouragement and congrats on your days as well! You know, cutting coffee out sounds like a damn good idea. I’ll have to think about that one though ^.^

1 Like