Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products) (Part 1)

Yes! I was discussing this with my teen today. Like how do we decide that choosing to fuck with our body is somehow cool or celebratory? I am already struggling with not smoking and the voice is like, “You’re doing so well not drinking, you shouldn’t have to give up everything. Fuck it!”

How about Fuck You, Voice!

2 Likes

Cinnamon sticks are my jam! Make a cup of tea, put a cinnamon stick in it for a bit, take it out, put it in your mouth, shape of a cigarette but tastes like cinnamon. Well, because it IS cinnamon. Good for you, too!

4 Likes

One week down! Had more than a few moments where I thought about caving. White knuckling it through for now. Hoping motivation will eventually follow action! Cravings are less intense at least.

5 Likes

Bravo!!!

Push through those early days, it’s tough but so worth it. I can only speak from my own experience, but I found the first few weeks really hard, and then it very suddenly became much easier. Somewhere around 4-6 weeks the cravings stopped altogether :+1:

1 Like

One day down. I’ve pretty much decided I don’t want to quit. :rofl: But c’mon! three cigs a day? Why even bother doing that to my body? Chewed the shit out of some cinnamon last night, suckers, over did it on chocolate. I don’t even really eat chocolate. The mint toothpicks seem helpful but I prefer cinnamon. On the search for flavored toothpicks today.

Snackiness is far worse with cigs than alcohol.

5 Likes

Thank you :hugs:

I am very unconvinced about my ability to stay quit as I’ve done 1 year+ stretches twice before and gone back :grimacing: Got to keep reminding myself to keep it to ODAAT and see where it takes me!

I’m already out of the habit and not thinking about having a smoke when i get up, before bed, in the car etc. Seen a couple of people I would usually smoke with too and that’s been ok. Now trying not to shift to constant snacking… With varying levels of success :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

What helps me is reminding myself that ima suka cause I’m paying 7.50$ a day to stink have bad breath ruin my teeth while wasting precious time each day to smoke and guaranteed to die a premature horrible painful death while some fools are getting rich off my misery laughing it up I got 30 days today.i volunteerd with hospice n my patient had copd let me tell you it’s a horrible miserable way to die

6 Likes

Just smelling cigarette smoke gives me the boke now, I’m so glad they smell awful

4 Likes

Hiking today through the wet autumn woods made me think of 6 years ago. About two months quit. The withdrawals largely over, the novelty and the all encompassing feeling of quitting subsiding.
I started hiking for the first time in my life. Walking through the woods that wet November morning, just like today, experiencing the smells especially. The mould, the rot, the wet leaves, the pines. Wow! I could smell! It was the first big change I noticed.
Except of course from my fingers that were no longer yellow, my breath no longer stank to high heaven, the shortness of breath that had gotten better already, the money I had extra in my pocket, my bed, furniture and clothes not full of roll-up tobacco…
Still somehow the return of my smell made a huge impression on me, bigger than the changes that were already happening. It made me feel alive or something.
Whatever. Just wanted to share. Smoking is stupid. Smoking kills. Quitting is smart. Smoke free love from Amsterdam and Big Dune near Soest, Utrecht province.

4 Likes

beautiful post my friend, thank you, rings very true and relatable to me

3 Likes

I don’t know if its my iron tablets kicking in but I have noticed I am getting slightly less breathless. Either way not smoking has got to help! Actually my main motivation at this point. I feel like if I’m taking iron tablets to improve my health/ fatigue etc, depleting the oxygen levels in my blood by smoking is just dumb! Hoping to be able to start walking again in the new year and then I think it will be easier to feel the benefits of not smoking.

I always liked the smell of cigarette smoke even as a kid :laughing: but it does leave a weird taste and feeling in the mouth that I don’t miss. Finger stains have gone and that cough has fucked off too :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I did not follow through on quitting. Yesterday I had two cigarettes, one at 7p and one at 10pm. I just don’t choose to handle the stress of both. I feel so strong in pursuing sobriety currently. That little snippet of extra aggravation feels like too much for me.

2 Likes

Feels like longer tbh :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

I’m going to give this a try again

I will be a grumpy a hole but I’ll be happy if I can do it

2 Likes

Good luck Matt, we’re rooting for you! I’d focus on caffeine and exercise if I’d have to do it again, oh and you know sponsor, higher power and sobriety groups are indispensiblr too!! Don’t give up and don’t give in!!!

4 Likes

@Nowenbrace

Thank you owen

Let’s get it minute by minute

And solid advice

I havnt worked out in forever

3 Likes

Still not quite a happy non-smoker but cravings are getting less. Gonna share this one with some friends who I’ll hopefully be seeing at Xmas to help keep me accountable there.

4 Likes

This is brilliant :clap::clap: Good idea creating some accountability over the xmas period. I know it’s different for everyone, but it got much easier for me after a month or so :+1: well done

2 Likes

Definitely thinking about it less. Got some general anxiety and mood stuff going on and it’s quite an effort when that flares up to stop my brain going down the route of thinking about the ‘comfort’ of smoking. But I have tested the hypothesis that smoking helps depression before. It didn’t! Just trying to be patient…

3 Likes

Big congrats on your full month of smobriety Siand! Just keep going. Patience is a big virtue yes.
BTW, and I know positive reinforcement works better (catching flies goes easier with syrup as with vinegar), but I still want to share about this resident in my care who is about to lose his legs (and his life after that) due to smoking. Clogged calcified arteries. Second time I’m witnessing it. Not a pretty sight or smell. Never going back.

3 Likes