Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products) (Part 1)

still smoke free and loving not having to go outside and freeze or smell like an ashtray

keep going friends.

congrats on 20 days @siand

the first four months was the hardest now about 15 months no desire to be a slave to the smoke break, so much time I got back

3 Likes

I just recently gave up vaping. I never smoked cigarettes unless I was drinking and if you knew me then I was always smoking hahah. But later into the night I would smoke heavier so almost 3pks a day… so after awhile I switched to vaping about 4- 5 months ago and I’ll tell you what that vape is no joke either. So I’m proud to say I’ve been 100% Tobacco free for 35 days. I still get nic fits when I’m in traffic or stressful situations. I know I don’t wanna drink then my mind goes to well I should just smoke a vape … but I want to be rid of all habits unhealthy for me. To add insult to injury my daughter was pulling her toys out from under my bed today and handed me a brand new vape I had lost while in active drinking. And for whatever reason I saved it in a drawer… I think the main reason is because they cost almost $20 and I just don’t wanna throw money away but at the same time I keep thinking about it over there…

6 Likes

Looking at this thread made me realize how much money I have saved by not smoking. I quit 15 August 2008, and assuming I would have spent $9 a day (I smoked a pack per day, sometimes more), I have saved approximately $44,000. Not having to spend money on an addiction is amazing.

6 Likes

1,5 day nicotine free.
I have to take this addiction more seriously , and I have to approach it the same way as I do with my alcoholism.
I did found some useful tips on this thread and I am gone use most of therm to my advantage :blush:
Trying to quite smoking the last couple of weeks so many times :pensive:, but I am not gone ‘try’ anymore,
I am just gone do it!
I quite smoking cigarettes for a few months but I was still taking nicotine true vaping. Since a few weeks I am back on the cigarettes again. :tired_face:
I have my toolbox ready, gum, patches, straw’s, lemon juice and a lot of willpower!
No vaping anymore, no coffee or strong tea and lots of working out.

One day at a time I can beat this addiction.

:muscle: :pray:

6 Likes

You got this, I felt like the biggest battle is when that urge comes on to just fight through it and you will be amazed

2 Likes

Any suggestions for quitting chewing? Still early in recovery so want to be careful. But have been chewing for 17 years now and it’s increased in sobriety unfortunately. I have never attempted to quit.

4 Likes

I wish I still had access to the posts of an old chewer I knew from a quit smoking forum that helped me quit nicotine back in 2015. Coincidentally he was a vet too. Anyway, that forum is dead and gone alas. Quitting dipping comes with its own set of challenges. If only because the amount of nicotine you ingest is huge.
In the end it’s addiction to nicotine. But the withdrawal is brutal I remember. And as with all addiction, peer support is of the utmost importance. Hope you can find some. When I google a bit a lot of help comes of. There’s this one website I can’t join because it is US only, but I know there’s a lot of old US based members from the forum I mentioned before (Quitnet) migrated when it folded. Have a look if you want. Success! https://www.becomeanex.org/chewing-tobacco/

2 Likes

Succes Roland!

2 Likes

Much appreciated! Still contemplating it because sobriety comes first. But would definitely like to save the money. Pushing over 100 dollars a week now because of the taxes in NY. Everyone says sunflower seeds so will see how that works and keep complaining on here haha.

2 Likes

I have something specific in mind -I’m going clubbing with two smoking friends. Will definitely be out with them on smoke breaks to cool down from all the dancing :laughing: just thinking about the best way to negotiate that situation. And whether having something nicotine free would be helpful. Or if I just need to suck it up buttercup :wink:

1 Like

I got addicted to the nicotine gum for a couple years and what has helped me and still is is rolling whole black peppercorns between my teeth just like lozenges just don’t inhale them ~ their sugar free :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

Day two and not a good start to either day. Massive headaches to the point of blurred vision. Severe agitation. May need to hold until I’m a little more confident in my program.

4 Likes

2,5 days no nicotine. So far so good. I am trying some sort of herbal quite smoking patches, they contain no nicotine, no urge for smoking so far. I have gum with nicotine for backup.
Good luck everyone with quitting cigarettes/nicotine. We can do this :muscle: :ok_hand:

7 Likes

7 Likes

It is advised to cut down on chewing instead of going cold turkey because of the amount of nicotine you’re ingesting. Whatever you do you have my admiration. Tough job.

1 Like

I did a number of these for the non-smoking forum I was part of. This one’s for you Siand. Not One Puff Ever! Hugs.

4 Likes

I dipped for 30 years. I tried cold-turkey and on day 3 my brain just locked up. I couldn’t hold a train of thought for more than a minute. Was so close to getting a can of snuff.

I got nicotine lozenges instead. 4mgs to start. Followed the instructions to the letter. After several weeks I switched to the 2mg ones, and continued to taper. When I was getting through a day with only one or two lozenges, then I went cold turkey. Entire process was about 10 weeks, but it worked.

7 Likes

I barely made it 12 hours today and felt horrible. Like panic mode almost. So I had to buckle and get a can. I called the VA today and I have nicotine gum 4mg on the way. So try again in a day or two. Thanks for the advice! Felt weak not being able to not be able to stop putting something gross in my mouth.

3 Likes

Haha that’s brilliant! I will think of this when I am tempted :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

That was my philosophy, not one drag.

1 Like