Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products)

Just checking in here, been away for quite some time…I did end up joining the smoke free club though and I am currently at 10 months! Honestly glad I quit, but I thought my breathing and everything would be better than it is at this point. I am swimming a lot now though so hopefully it gets better and better!

9 Likes

Nausea GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

2 Likes

I LOVE YOU, JASON!!! You’re a darn rockstar and an inspiration, full stop!

Keep up the hard work :muscle: :fishing_pole_and_fish:

2 Likes

There he is! Good to see you!!

1 Like

I havent had hardly any cravings lately.

The cigarettes havent been talking to me from behind the counter as I stand in line.

My coworkers light up and I feel nothing.

I worked another boat for a day, and the three other guys smoke. Instead of wishing I could join them I felt grateful to be free.

Not smoking is becoming normal. I like it!

11 Likes

9 Likes

Enough have been said and enough have been read about Nicotine addiction.

It’s time to stop Bullsh*tting around and looking for excuses all the time.

The plan was to quit Monday morning, but the best time to quit is now.

I feel that I’m in ‘’the momentum’’ now and have the right mindset and not gone wait another day.

There is nothing to gain from nicotine… From now on I’m a NONE smoker.

I have to take accountability for this, so sorry guy’s I am gone spam this threat for a while!

:v: :blue_heart:

9 Likes

23 hours into being Slightly Grumpy and having some Mental discomfort… Could be worse…

Lets add another 12 hours! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

46 hour into my nicotine withdrawal. I am feeling fine at the moment and the physical withdrawal symptoms aren’t as bad as I expected, and will probably not get worse the next 2 day’s. And I slept very well last night!
I just had my dinner and I don’t crave for a cigarette, so that’s all positive.

I am scarred about the mental withdrawal. This I find far more difficult the cope with.

But I can do this… I have a strong Mindpower!

:v:t2::blue_heart:

6 Likes

The mental game comes on hard and fast, It also passes. Its very similar to the anxiety about quitting. Every time I thought about quitting, I was also triggered to light up.

Day one and two are the hardest. Not being willing to start over. There will be many times the mental game will try and get you from here. You have made it past the hardest part. You can make it past anything from here. You will need to remind yourself of this.

There are things I miss about smoking, the further I get away the less appealing those things are. welcome to day three! :muscle:

5 Likes

So that’s two days in the bag Roland! Excellent work friend. Willpower is important early on, but in the end it is knowledge that will get you through. The knowledge that smoking is absolutely nothing but a stupid addiction. There’s absolutely nothing good about it. The only stress smoking relieves is the stress cause by withdrawal (and you made it through that already). A sickarette is the most effective drug delivery system ever devised, spiking the nicotine in our bloodstream within a second after taking a drag, a drag filled with 1000’s of poisonous and carcinogenic substances beside nicotine, further enhanced and ‘enriched’ by the tobacco companies, who are nothing else than cynical dealers in death and disease. Willpower is good but knowledge is true power. Fuck tobacco. Proud of you man. You’re doing this.

4 Likes

@Mno
@JasonFisher

Thank for the support guy’s I can use every bit of encouragement to make this effort a Succes story. :pray::muscle:t3:

7 Likes

71 hours free from nicotine.
One of those days my mind keeps spinning and overthinking.
Normally I would take a shot of nicotine to calm it down, but not today :slightly_smiling_face:
I went for a walk after work, helped a bit but not as much as it normally does.
Finish dinner, and will go to bed early.
Tomorrow will be better! :crossed_fingers: :muscle:

8 Likes

Good work Roland! Just keep going, it will get easier.

Funny how the truth is just a little bit different. What you call “normally” isn’t normal at all. It’s addiction speaking. And it’s the same with the idea that nicotine calms your spinning overthinking brain down. It does nothing of the kind. The only thing taking a shot of nicotine helps with is to quiet the craving. It helps to satisfy the nicotine addiction. And what you notice after taking that shot of nicotine, the release and the quieting down you experience in your brain, is only the satisfaction of the nicotine addiction, of the addicted part. It doesn’t change the basic operation of your brain. That’s a lie addiction tells you. By not giving in to the lies you will starve the addicted part and make it weaker each and every time you don’t give in to its false ideas. Keep going, you’re doing great!

6 Likes

I think it’s really great how you can describe it Menno, helps me a lot in the coming days. :blue_heart: :v:

I always refer to it as a fantasy, The fantasy that having a smoke (or drink) will help me solving what ever problem I have at the moment. But as soon that I light that cigarette, my heart rate goes up and that horrible taste… that fantasy is gone and I feel even worse.
That fantasy can live on in my brain as long as I don’t react to it.

And I hope within a few months that fantasy will disappear

:crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

My whole life I had just accepted that I was a life long smoker. I started smoking when I was 12 years old… At 33 I quit smoking. It was cold turkey too, I was sick and never really smoked cigarettes when I was sick so I hadn’t smoked in 3 days and I heard those where the hardest days to quit so I decided to just roll with it. And since then I have been nicotine Free. What kept me going was thinking there were so many other people before me that quit smoking, I wasn’t alone. Also I treated it like when I quit drinking, I knew if I had just one then it was off to the races and I would be back at smoking again. I vented on here a couple of times and held myself accountable with checking into the forum. Good luck everyone on quitting, it has been one of the best decisions I have made for my life.

11 Likes

Two years smoke free Suzanne! Huge congrats! I totally agree with what you’re writing. For me quitting smoking is the best decision I took in my life. Learned so much from it. Most importantly it taught me I’m addicted, and at the same time that I can beat addiction. Yay you!

9 Likes

Congratulations! :confetti_ball::clap:
2 years is a huge achievement.
And thanks for sharing your story!

7 Likes

120 hours free from Nicotine.

Today was a good day, feeling less anxious and stressed then the days before.

A co-worker offered me a cigarette;

the first line on top of my “toolbox” list says: DONT hesitate!

So I didnt hesitate for a second and told him:

No Thanks I am a NON smoker! And no questions asked. :innocent::grimacing:

I like to be a NON smoker let’s add another day!

11 Likes

Killin it! The co-worker thing is huge!

I used to race to the cigarette breaks. Sometimes in my line of work it comes down to a cigarette or a snack. More often than not, I smoked. or had a snack in one hand and a cigg in the other.

My coworker dropped a half a pack on the boat and they got soaked! I remember those days… I managed to not laugh out loud while eating my snack! I’m still giggling thinking about it. :rofl:

8 Likes