Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products)

Welcome back!

1 Like

This just happened…

:muscle::boom:

11 Likes

I’m checking in. Not quite quit but currently reading the Allen Carr book again. Starting to tip the balance towards being a smoker for half my life… I want to stay on the smoke free half. And make it the majority! Am also starting to feel like some of my health and energy is coming back, so having smokey lungs won’t help me with the hills I want to enjoy walking up. Final motivation is coming up to five years alcohol free this year. Feels like a nice round number. On top of the general health, money etc.

I did read the book before and it saw me through an 18 month quit. I can’t remember why I relapsed (or what excuse I gave myself) but each quit since has got shorter and shorter. Will see what happens this time. Trying not to put pressure on but hopeful for a good outcome.

7 Likes

Wooohooooo! Nice one :raised_hands:

1 Like

:metal: yeah yeah!!! 6 months is something to be super proud of!!!
Sure you see tons of improvements!!!

1 Like

Sure you can do it!
Definitely not easy but I can tell you are really determined this time.
Smoking is nothing but hurtful.
Keep us updated!

1 Like

You can do it! Hiking is a great incentive! As my lungs continue to heal I love how it feels to push myself further. I had trouble taking a deep satisfying breath. When I did get winded, it took much longer to recover. I feel more athletic. I was still active as a smoker, but I wouldn’t choose a steep trail or travel as far away from the vehicle.

I had quit for a long time and I started back up. It got really easy to postpone quitting. When I relapsed from smoking. I instantly became addicted again. In the back of my mind, I never wanted to start again, but it was too late.

How fast time flies is a huge incentive for me now.

I participated in this thread three years ago. I made it 26 days and started crabbing with smokers. I gave myself permission to relapse. Three years flew by. So did another ten thousand dollars worth of cigarettes!

I haven’t spent my current cigarette savings yet. It adds up fast!

3 Likes

Day 194, I missed the 6 month mark which is a good sign.

@JasonFisher @siand how is it going?

Hope all good and smoke free as well!
:no_smoking:

6 Likes

Cigarettes used to get me moody when I didn’t smoke them ! Haha . My last cigarette was about right before Christmas. 3 months almost !!!

I don’t get mood swings anymore but now I’m quitting alcohol so theyre back. :sob:

(I used to smoke almost a pack a day)

2 Likes

6 months is amazing! Congrats!

The weather gave me a couple of days off. My coworker smokes. We work the rail of a crab boat together. He is very respectful of me quitting and goes out of his way to try and not smoke in my face, but it happens, It smells good at times, but hasn’t been enough to even tempt me. His slavery to the cigarettes make me grateful I no longer have to run for one every chance I get while working.

Its been a stressful season. I’m so grateful that I haven’t been tempted to have a smoke or a drink!

4 Likes

Congrats! Both quitting smoking and drinking!

Does anyone know where I could find a sponsor for quitting smoking?
I’ve quit smoking cold turkey twice before, but I need a sponsor this time to make sure it really sticks. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Hello, unfortunately I do not know about this.
Tried with just apps in the past.

What I did differently this time was to set the counter here, and reading and messaging a bit on this thread.
Check all comments, suggestions,…this thread has such great useful information and also great people willing to help!
I stayed just reading all information for a long time!

Time to gain your freedom back.

Hi folks! Just to let you know that there is hope… Reached 10 months without smoking yesterday. Before this, it was a tough path, i know how it feels to start, struggle and relapse again and again. Im still not safe cause occasionally would fantasize about having a cig. What keeps me not doing it is that ive lost the routine, ive other ways to calm myself down, its bloody waste of money, im in the middle of freaking asthma and cardiac symptoms research and it would be really odd to continue ruining my health more by puffing like a dragon.

All of my sympathy to those who keep trying! :heart:

6 Likes

Congrats on the 10 months!
Have to agreed on the money wasted…it’s painful to realize.
Only some months ago I was unable to picture my life without the cigarettes, and now it feels quite the opposite.
Do I still wish to light one when things get a bit stressful? Of course… like you said quitting was such a struggle I should delete those thoughts asap.

3 Likes

Thank you @Teresa.13 :cherry_blossom:

25 days and counting without smoking cigarettes. I hope to keep going in my soberity journey. I hope the same for everyone, thank you.

7 Likes

I invested my cigarette savings into another project that I have been talking about doing for years. I’m starting a tackle company. Fish Tough Tackle! I bought all the equipment I need to get started yesterday.

Investing the money I save from bad habits into things to improve my life has been very good for me. It helps me stay on track.

I’ve been working with smokers. It would be so easy to have a cigarette, or a beer. Id rather start a business!

Crazy to realize that 200 days of cigarette savings was enough to start a tackle company… How many companies went up in smoke?

7 Likes

I also stopped smoking when I quit alcohol and it’s so easy to get me irritated. The slightest inconvenience sets me off for a few minutes but then I usually forget what I was angry about and I go back to baseline lol. It’s a wild ride

5 Likes

Not sure, but you might find a sponsor here

excommunity.becomeanex.org

It’s a very helpful and active smoking cessation forum, hosted by the Mayo Clinic. Lots of the members of Quitnet -the forum I used to quit smoking back in 2015- went there when the Q went poof. Unfortunately it’s accessible to people in North America only. I used to snoop around a bit in the past using a VPN but haven’t been there for a couple of years. I do believe a forum like that can be very helpful when quitting smoking. On Talking Sober there’s not quite enough support I feel.

1 Like