Happy Holidays - Lets talk tools!

We talk about about “The Toolbox” quite a bit around here.

It’s only over the last week that I’d heard of building a physical toolbox to carry with you. Something was said on my TLC meeting this morning, “When I get in that state, I forget all of my tools. So, I need something I can actually have with me.”

I think building a toolkit, that is not metaphorical, will go a along way toward granting me that “pause” I usually lack. People always ask why I didn’t reach out and somewhat negate the fact that I couldn’t because my toolbox was locked somewhere in the back of my mind behind the craving.

Start here. This is a really great exercise. What do you have to add? I think I might add hot peppers. I mean if you pop a hot pepper in your mouth, do you have the wherewithal to crave a drink?

9 Likes

Great post Jené! This is the time of year when I use my tools the most. My biggest physical tool is my phone. I’m always sure to keep it in my back pocket just in case I feel an urge. I can then call someone in my sober network, jump on here or post in one of my what’s app groups.

4 Likes

This is INCREDIBLE information!! I absolutely love everything about this post :heart: is there a way I can bookmark this page so I don’t have to search for it if I need it? Tomorrow I am going to put together my physical toolbox along with my list of 10 things. I see somethings on there that I am doing already… essential oils like lavender, hot baths, meditation and deep breathing. But the breath of fire :fire: omg what’s that?! I need to learn this technique asap. I feel such a sense of relief actually reading this bcuz ita such good info! Makes me feel alittle more prepared for my recovery. Thank you SO much :heart:

1 Like

Ooo and high peppers :hot_pepper: yes!!! I’m not a fan of hot things but maybe that would be enough to snap me out of my thinking

Click the three dots. You’ll see a “bookmark” next to the flag. You can set that for reminders and it will save it to your bookmarks.

1 Like

Thanks I got it!! This post deserves an award :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have to thank Holly Whitaker - because she’s kick-ass and the blog is all hers.

1 Like

Grateful for her and you all on TS :slight_smile:

@Lisa07 my main tool is also my phone. I’ve set reminders that pop up and include motivational messages or just say “resist the urge” and have my voice memos with little pep talks for myself that I can listen to whenever I need a boost.

I’ve also got a small piece of paper folded up in my wallet with my trusty “pros and cons” of drinking list. That helps me a lot. I’ll have to check out the other suggestions soon!

4 Likes

Mints and lavender based essential oil were physical things that helped me with craving. I don’t need them so much these days, but still tucked into my bag, just in case.

3 Likes

I have lavender essential oil but mints are an amazing idea! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like