Has anyone thought of a Telegram group

I was just wondering about a telegram group. Has anyone made one? I searched but couldn’t find anything.

I know this site has a chat feature but the app doesn’t. I only use the app so real time chat isn’t available for me.

Telegram is a lot of fun since you can share in real-time. Telegram also allows video calls and group meetings, secret chats, disappearing messages and quite a bit more. We could share videos, books (share limit is 2gb). Just a thought I wanted to put out there.

Having a telegram group may bring in some trolls but the same risk exists on any platform. The group would need to be moderated.

I didn’t mention WhatsApp but we could use that too. Except that on Telegram we can have some degree of control using a bot (I can help write one) but we can’t have a bot on WhatsApp.

What do you think? Would it be a good idea to start a telegram group?

I feel with taking the chats to other platforms you risk things that are out of the mods control.
Where as here when inappropriate things happen people can be removed if needed.
On a different app that can’t happen.
As a whole we can’t keep out the creepers when on another platform. And we’ve had some creepers

3 Likes

What if we make the mods of TS the admins of the group. Same set of people. They will have the power to kick people out. What if we replicate a real-time mirror of this forum.

I am suggesting this because I have at many times needed an instant reply to a message I sent. What do you do when you are suicidal and post a message to this forum and what if you are in Asia like me when most other members are asleep? Or if I am craving because I am in a party. Or a million other desperate situations. Do I wait for a reply? Oft times the reply is too late.

I am not talking about a replacement. I am just saying that sometimes real time helps.a lot. The ability to chat instantaneously with other human beings. Or videochat if you feel like it. I think it would be very helpful to many people. The mods can be the same. That would be best.

If I get time (and it takes loads of time), I will try to create an AI admin bot which will help the mods. Just like in other telegram groups. The bots keep the spammers out. What do you think?

I understand your logic, but also realistically it’s not viable,

The mods of TS are busy enough and volunteers, to add more to their plate would be selfish.

The forum itself is a huge part of my Recovery but it’s only one tool, there is people on here from all over the world and I’m sure your call for help would’nt go unanswered, at anytime. But similar like a chat it’s available when people are on being on a separate app doesn’t change people being available.

I have a group of TS friends and we developed our own group, almost like a family, to keep the banter off the forum and we do zoom meets but even then there’s still the level of life outside of the forum, I have other friends, contacts and a sponsor in real time. TS is a tool, for some it might be their only tool, but if things are that bad you might need to find other resources for your recovery as well

1 Like

Suicide helplines unfortunately don’t work. That’s my personal experience. It’s usually just some person repeating the same feel good phrases. I can get the same result by googling for inspirational quotes. Didn’t work for me.

You are right. Making them responsible for moderating a real time platform may be too much to ask.

This is hilarious!!! :joy::joy::joy: Are you texting from the beyond? Do they have ice cream over there?

Just here to make this joke, yes.
Otherwise, the mods are busy enough, we can’t ask any more of them! You can create your own chat group with ppl from here who want to join, but it won’t be a general feature.

Glad you find the subject funny :+1: I sincerely hope you never feel the need to call a helpline.

I am not really interested in creating a group. It was just an idea I had. I am a part of a few groups mostly on tech topics and I find the platform very useful.

Anyway I guess some ideas work and some don’t. Let’s just move on.

I jumped on this thread to say that it’s a cool idea but to remind everyone that this kind of thing is essentially the same as swapping personal info - totally up to the individuals to decide but outside the realm of moderators.

I wouldn’t be prepared to moderate a second sobriety platform as it can be intense enough here at times! Plus other life commitments etc. I imagine the others would say the same.

Building support networks is what it’s all about here, sometimes that can include crisis support. I understand the timezone differences can be difficult if you are in a part of the world that’s underrepresented in the forum, but there is usually someone around.

Are you part of any local recovery networks? If you need people to talk to who are up at the same time as you, that might be a good thing to explore. I know swapping numbers and having people you can call in a pinch is a big part of a lot of groups, probably moreso than through any text platform… Even if real time chat is technically available it doesn’t mean people will always respond straight away! I have WhatsApp chats that stretch out over days, much like on the forum actually.

5 Likes