Hate AA but keep losing sight of the goal

Ok, can I just give you my take on this with where I am now.
I don’t think about drinking. I can get through several days without thinking about drinking.
I’m 11 months sober and all I have done is probably what all this fancy talk you are on about.
I’ve just continuously told myself that I no longer drink. I know all these programs are out there and am prepared to use something if I ever feel the need.
I don’t feel the need to go to AA all the time, I go because the guys there are the only people that understand completely where I am.
At this present moment in time, I feel 100 percent safe in my sobriety. I can go out to pubs with my friends and it doesn’t bother me that they drink. They can and do get drunk in front of me. I don’t care, I don’t drink.
I am, however mindful of the fact that this can change should I let my guard down at all.
But I live my life as " normal".
It’s taken a while but to my mind all this backwards and forwards is using energy that could be used in just getting and staying sober.

8 Likes

As mentioned, been struggling with depression for many years. Only getting on top of it recently by introducing counter habits. Was not judging because been there. Not a good place to be.

I think if you talk to these people they will say the same thing that I just said. It’s a group of people that get them. They probably don’t need the support in the same way that they do when they first started attending but still go because if they didn’t then there would be no one there for the newcomers like you and me.

4 Likes

I’m a different case-having a severe health condition because of drinking has forced my brain to understand drinking=death. That being said, liver cirrhosis for me is my own recovery plan. If I did not know this I would probably be in AA. For the exact reason you state…they understand you and that’s what we lack in our daily lives. My parents and my boyfriend can try to get why I don’t drink but they won’t fully ever understand it because they aren’t alcoholics. The biggest thing for me is missing that connection you are talking about with other humans. I have a home group, I check in once in a while but not many people in my area that go that are my age so I come on this forum. Everyone has their own game plan, we must respect everyone’s. I commend you and everyone else who goes to AA :muscle:t3:

4 Likes

Yes, Emilie. Your situation is definitely an incentive. There are a lot of people who still drink knowing that they have a serious illness.
I commend you, you have worked hard at this, knowing the consequences if you didn’t.

2 Likes

I have a serious illness. Lupus! I can’t drink but that got me to use the CHECK OUT button.

Not funny

But yeah. I get it

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m Derek. I am a recovered alcoholic. I no longer suffer from the mental obsession to drink or drug. I have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of body and mind. I will always be an alcoholic, but I don’t have to suffer any of the symptoms so long as I maintain my spiritual condition. I don’t go to AA because I have to, I go because I want to. I go because I can be of service to others. I go because they are my closest friends. I go because if I have a bad day they will understand. I go because they have free coffee. All the good things in my life are a result of my continued attendance at AA. Sure you can get sober without AA. Honestly it’s not really as hard as we like to think. That hard part is learning how to live a wonderful life. That’s what AA had taught me. I wouldn’t trade this for the world.

11 Likes

What a great point, it’s not just about getting support, it’s about giving it too. I know I am hugely grateful for the people with lots of sobriety time that check in here!

4 Likes

Thank you Allen.
Exactly what I’ve been saying.
It doesn’t matter how we look at it, disease, mental health issues, whatever! It all boils down to the fact that we
Have. A. Problem. With. Alcohol!
We have no control!
Accepting this is the key.
If you actually look into the various ways of treatment, we will find that they are all based on the premise of change within ourselves.
I personally think that by trying to define it as anything other than this one basic fact is not accepting this one basic fact. And as you say, the door is open for relapse.

2 Likes

I actually use both SMART and AA. I understand your feelings on AA, but there are so many good meetings to go to so I use them. I really like SMARTs online Recovery programs. I truly wish you the best and this app is a huge help as well.

Sorry, I meant that for the original poster.

2 Likes

When i got sober there was only AA couldnt wait another 10 years for smart to start , over the last few years there are more recovery programs showed up but as i say im well into my recovery so ill stick to AA wish everyone well what ever they use to stay sober

2 Likes

Oh gosh, THIS is one of the main reasons we have “old timers”. They share their experience in hopes that something they say resonates with a newcomer. Because that newcomer is the most important person in that room.

That’s where All this talk of people having to go to meetings for the rest of their lives is mixed up. These people are, for the most part, recovered. They keep coming back because there is nothing like seeing the lights come back on in someone’s eyes. To see them get their families back. It’s a reward like no other.

That’s the solution that these people that “have” to go to meetings the rest of their life, live :wink:

11 Likes

Right on Gabe .G

I will say those old timers took really good care of me in the beginning. They still do. Almost half the people at my wedding were from AA. I owe a lot to those men

3 Likes

I went to AA for a few days and saw the repetition and the same people. This was a good exercise for me for the first 6 months and after that skipped the meetings. Changed meeting locations and times as well. It has been more than 12 months I went to AA.

Apps, Podcasts help as well :blush:

1 Like

I think people who aren’t Alcoholics could benefit from working the program and the steps. It makes you a better person spiritually and mentally.

12 Likes

Nice one Gabe!

I wholeheartedly agree Darren

I’ve just looked up that rehab you went to pal, is the food as good as the reviews say it is. Overall it seems like a decent one. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah - it’s a good place and the food is good. Different food most days and plenty of it so no problems there :+1:

1 Like