Have you felt like This?

Just wondering because I’ve googled it and not really finding what I’m looking for, if anyone can relate to what I’m about to ask?..

Ok so I’m on day 18 sober and it’s my second attempt after having 3 months sober a year ago I slipped and started again. Anyway about 2 weeks before I stopped again I was finding the hangovers hard to cope with and the thought process of needing to drink change slightly. Well since I’ve stopped it’s changed alot i actually feel sick if i think of drinking a beer this is mad for me since one reason I started drinking is because I loved the taste! I really can’t believe it I have no urge or want for it and the more I think of it the more sick I feel I sometimes dry heave! Has anyone else had this experience? Can you suddenly go off it? Dislike it? All I can find on Google is people saying they have become intolerant of if or allergic but not what I feel. I guess part of me is worried that if this feeling of sick and discussed leaves me and I start craving it will be awful but I will fight it cos I really don’t want to drink again. It’s scary to think of not having this awful feeling towards drink helping me out.

You’ve developed an “aversion” to it. Even the most pleasurable thing can have an aversion attached to it, if there’s a bad or painful experience attached to it.

Take a kid to the pool and throw him in the water. See how hard it is to teach him how to swim, after this experience.

Experience enough negative, and this will overwhelm any positive you held. Drinking is no different.

Will it end? Maybe not completely, but it may diminish with time. Unfortunately those of us who aren’t quite done return to the drink, because the aversion faded. But some have had enough. Took me a long time to get to this point, but once I did, I was done. 431 days later and I still have no desire to drink ever again.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply I wondered if anyone wud made me wonder if i was really super duper unique than I already am lol. It makes sense what you said and in the end I was experiencing all the bad effects in such a way It really out weighed any of the positive I wud try cling to. Well done on all your days sober and again thank you for replying x

1 Like

I still get anxiety at the thought of drinking, 19+ months clean. That’s kinda what this sounds like to me. I’ll drive by my old watering hole and feel the pull of the social life I used to have there, but thinking about actually drinking makes me sick to my stomach and I get anxious and shaky. I’m more than pleased with this reaction. It’s trained be to not even think about it.