Haven't cried since I got sober

Haven’t cried since I put the bottle down 7 months ago. All my emotions have felt kind of out of wack. I feel sad about things that I should feel sad about but I can’t bring myself to cry. Doesn’t feel healthy. Mostly my days just feel kind of grey.

7 Likes

Interesting,

Did you go cold Turkey or did you attend a rehab? I understand your frustration with emotions and an up and down rollercoaster, plus feeling apathetic,

Maybe seeking out therapy might help? This is not medical advice just a mere suggestion

3 Likes

You’ve identified that the way you’re feeling doesn’t sit right with you, and that’s a good start to learning more about what might be going on with you. You’ve gotten some good suggestions already, but if you’ve never sought counseling before, it can be a really helpful thing to have someone guide you through exploring this state of mind more. It can be hard to find a therapist that “fits” so keep in mind it might be a journey in itself. I’m a big reader, and reading books about emotions really helped me a lot. There are loads of podcasts and other resources out there. If I had to choose one place to start, it would be with the social worker, researcher, author and change maker Brené Brown. She’s written a lot of great books but also has a podcast called “Unlocking Us” that explores a whole lot of areas around the human experience with a lot of focus on vulnerability. You can scroll through the topics she covers and see if any of them vibe with you. I have gone through periods of feeling flat emotionally (which is different from the depressive episodes I experience that are debilitating) and I’ve learned that it’s normal to feel that flatness sometimes for me. Doing things that bring me joy like time in the outdoors, listening to moving musical pieces and watching emotional movies pulls at my heart strings and gets those emotional gears moving.

Hang in there - we all have a lot of healing to do in recovery and it can look different for every individual. I’m glad you came here to share and get some support.

2 Likes