Healthy Ways of Handling Big Stress

Hey everyone, I’m brand new here, so I’ll tell you a bit about my past…

I’m now four days clean. Alcohol has been my substance of choice. I’ve never been an everyday drinker. More like a couple days a week (2-3 on average) however when I did drink, I couldn’t stop at two or three beers. It’s often 8-12 minimum.

So far, it hasn’t caused a ton of immediate problems in my life. I’ve typically reserved it for weekends, although there has been a couple of workdays I’ve been super hungover. No DUI’s or family problems… at least not yet. Call me a functioning alcoholic if you will.

Nevertheless, I’ve come to the realization that I need to get a grip on drinking before it becomes a problem or gets out of control. I think the best choice is to cut it out completely.

My trigger is definitely stress. I’ve got an incredibly stressful job. Either I’ll begin drinking on a particularly stressful weeknight and won’t stop, or wait till the weekend, hammer a few dozen drinks, and be hungover feeling horrible the entire weekend.

I honestly don’t know any other ways to handle the stress. I’ve been doing this for so long. The problem with alcohol is that it provides and immediate (albeit temporary) solution when nothing else does.

Had a horrible day today. Pulled into my driveway, then pulled right out and went to the liquor store. Didn’t go in. Instead came home and now I’m writing this.

Can somebody give me a few ideas on positive ways they handle stress? I really need some help here… thanks in advance, this seems like a very helpful group.

5 Likes

Great job not going in the store. That took some strength.
Asking for help is not always easy, I’m glad you reached out
What do I do?
Read
Walk
Drink tea
Anything outside
Watch tv
Clean
Listen to murder mystery podcasts
Play on my phone
Meditate/yoga (not often enough)
Talk to my friends/family
Go to a meeting

Some people
Write draw listen/play music
Hike
Cook
Shower
Join a class
Nap
Anything you used to enjoy
Sorry about your stressful day
Tomorrow will be better

5 Likes

Thanks a lot… I know it may sound silly, but I really don’t know any other way to take the edge off… I’ve always just grabbed booze and felt better.

Gym, walking and eating healthy Meditation and being king to yourself. Works for me along with changing lifestyle and thinking patterns. Also keeping busy.

3 Likes

I’ve made a sober list for myself. When I quit a year ago I made it for myself. I tried to live by it:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to check in sober.

Maybe you see something that can be of help for you too :hugs:

5 Likes

I was that way too.

If your job is that stressful maybe it’s time for s career change?

Best stress management for me is breathwork, specifically the Wim Hof Method. Cold showers reduce anxiety. Exercise. Health food. Plenty of sleep. No toxins in the body as much as you can help it…

Cheers

1 Like

Wish I could have a change in career at times… I’m the head guy in my company though, got lots of weight on my shoulders.

Plus I’ve got four kids at home that depend on me, and a stay at home wife.

Oh well, I didn’t have a drink last night, woke up feeling much better this morning. Happy I didn’t give in…

1 Like