Heavier since sober.. any tips?

So I’ve put on 3 stone in the 7 months that I’ve been sober- that’s about 42 pounds! I’ve been eating a lot of chocolate since getting sober, I know thats a big problem and I am trying to cut that out . Any tips for losing weight fast? I hate being fat :sob: Before, it was alcohol making me fat, I didn’t really have a sweet tooth when I was drinking.

1 Like

No fast ways that i know of. Just diet and exercise.
Check out the my fitness app. It tracks calories and was pretty crazy to see just how many calories i was taking in.

2 Likes

I know, huh!? Who puts on weight AFTER giving up alcohol? Me! I guess it just gets down to eating more calories than we are burning throughout the day. I’m even working out - cardio- 4-5 times a week! I am mostly vegetarian and am getting too much protein from peanut butter I suspect. Ok- So there’s a little comfort eating that I never did when I was drinking. I’m going back to the basics.

3 Likes

Slow and steady to lose weight and keep it off. It is really more of a lifestyle change. Becoming more aware of what you eat and how much you eat and substituting unhealthy options (processed food, soda, added sugar) with healthy natural options (fruits, vegetables, eggs, beans). Of course this coming from Miss Sugar 2018 is rich, but like becoming sober, getting my sugar intake under control is also a process.

Try small steps…do you drink soda? Try replacing one a day with seltzer, then 2 a day after a bit…that type of thing. Look where you could replace an unhealthy food with a healthy. Instead of ice cream try strawberries and Greek yogurt. Instead of a bag of Doritos try two bananas and a hard boiled egg. Stuff like that.

Add in physical activity…get up and move as much as possible. Can you walk or bicycle to the store? Work? Somewhere? Adding in exercise is great for the spirit as well.

Hope this helps a little …for me, finding food and physical activity I like is key to maintaining the lifestyle choices that keep me healthy. And getting enough sleep.

I know it sucks to gain weight, but hopefully with some changes you can start to drop some and feel better overall. :heart: And be proud of what you have accomplished in getting free of alcohol!!!

3 Likes

Hi chels2017…I have put weight on too since going sober…it is quite typical to crave sugary things when you stop drinking… loads of calories in alcohol and your body is just craving to replace…my view is to get used to no alcohol and start taking those small steps to reduce weight…

2 Likes

Here’s how I see it. You have just gave up hour crutch. Technically you are morning that and need to allow your body to heal. So for a bit I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Now when I first joined the app everyone was talking about their weight loss and for the first few months I too was happy. But I was also working my ass off and needed to exercise to clear my mind. So up until about 4 months I was steady to perhaps loosing weight. Then everyone else kept bragging about weight lose but I was going the other way. Dang I wanted to eat everything. I probably would lick the bag of potato chips clean :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. But around the 9 month mark it turned back to normal. I don’t own a scale but I can tell by the way clothes fit lol. Now at 14 months I’m loosing weight still. Yesterday I even was asked about it. So just don’t obsess over everything during this process. It’s turning spring in the northern hemisphere so get out and clear your mind with some walks or runs.

1 Like

I know exercise is key, but how do I motivate myself to do that every day lol I always manage to talk myself out of it :laughing:

Same way you talked yourself into not having your DOC :wink:

2 Likes

Diet exersize moderation. Alcohol is actually sugar…so when people stop drinking…a lot of people get a sweet tooth and a craving for sugar

1 Like

The weight gain is normal - sugar is sugar - if you cut out alcohol sugars your body will crave other sugar until you break that habit. Proper nutrition and exercise are the answer… you say that you “hate” the condition that your body is in. If you truly are unhappy with your physical condition, then you need not ask the question, “how do I motivate myself?“. I’m not being judgemental, just being matter-of-fact. If you want to change, and it is important enough to you, you will do it. If you do not want to change, or it is not important enough for you, then you will not. And once we quit being victims of our circumstances, and stop making excuses, then we grow in the direction that we want to move.

5 Likes

I, too, am gaining weight. My sweet tooth is out of control, and I am just so hungry. But that started when I quit smoking almost 5 months ago. I’ve gained like 25 pounds since quitting smoking. Now I’m quitting drinking. What I’m thinking is that I’m working on giving up two vices right now, I don’t need to be working on a third. I only have so much will power.

2 Likes

I suppose that’s true because I feel like sugar is my true DOC right now :smile:

yep I don’t want to be a victim of circumstance, and I’m getting stretch marks so I suppose some hard graft is what’s needed :persevere:

1 Like

yeah I wouldn’t try and push yourself too much until your completely comfortable with quitting alcohol, one thing at a time sounds wise

You’re definitely not alone with this issue. I struggle with what I eat and how much I eat.
There was a time I got into watching food documentaries on NetFlix and they inspired me. I may even take my advice and re watch some.

My friend was talking to me about that actually and now she’s so put off by it she’s a part time vegan lol

Exercise is the best. It is really beneficial and it lets you eat a little more while keeping down the pounds.

Losing weight fast has never worked for me for very long. Like @SassyRocks says the best way is to make small changes. That has always been how it works for me too. Choose one bad food at a time and replace it. That being said: High protein diets and weight watchers have worked out fairly well for quick fixes in the past. Weight watchers is a pretty reasonable plan which is much like regular meals.

Perhaps motivate yourself with pictures around the house. For example: I have a desktop image of the Opera house because I am going to the opera in a couple of months and I want to look good in my LBD. I also have my weight posted on the fridge in magnetic numbers so that my boyfriend can see it.

One thing that I think is important to remember is that you CAN do it. You got yourself off of alcohol and you can do this.

3 Likes

Channel your addictive nature to a new addiction: Fitbit. It’s what I did. I got my step counter approximately six months into my sobriety. I started by making myself walk 10,000 steps a day. Then I raised it to 12,000 steps a day. Every day. Rain or shine. I treat it like a religion. I started losing weight, fast. Forget to get something at the store? It’s ok, you’ll get more steps! I now walk 18,000 steps a day without fail. I plan walks into my daily routine. I’ve taken up running again a few days a week. And it feels good to get outside. A good walk is an automatic mood changer. Takes me out of my head. I have to pull my head out of my ass and look at the world around me.

Addiction? Yes. My family certainly thinks so. My friends made comments initially. But I look like a different person. I’m thinner than I was in college. I look like an athlete again. I feel great. I don’t get sick. I like buying clothes again. Everything I used to wear while drinking is enormous on me now. Being thin again is a real motivator to stay this way. And it’s another motivator for me to never drink again. I’m too vain to go back to my drinking body.

I also cut out soda altogether: both regular and diet. I cut out fruit drinks (loaded with sugar). I drink water and plain seltzer with fresh lemon or lime squeezed into it. No more sugar in my coffee and no more sugar substitutes. Cutting out sugar came later for me. And I still haven’t kicked it altogether. But I’m working on it.

I think walking and sobriety go hand in hand and I highly recommend an exercise band like Fitbit. Let your addictive nature work for you. :blush:

1 Like

I just remembered another great motivator: Clothes! Tough ones like pants and bathing suits as well as fun ones like cute dresses.

Go shopping more often and try on things that you think won’t fit. As you lose weight you will be super motivated when they do. I was in a store yesterday and was really happy that all the size XS coats were fitting me.

Also try on your favourite smaller clothes that you already own. I bought a bathing suit a month ago to remind me that it will be beach time in a few months. It is a really sexy suit but…a little not quite right on me with my extra 12 or so pounds. I mean to try it on at least once a week to keep myself motivated.

1 Like

Man am the opposite I have lost 5lbs in 6 days and i have been sober for 6 days. Gym is my friend. Im there almost every day or every other day.