Hello from an Irish granny

Good morning, :butterfly:
I am new to this group and I would like to say hello to everyone. I got sober with smart recovery on 23/8/18. I was self medicating with alcohol for 37 years as a survivor of trauma. I am a survivor of the Mother and Baby home scandal in Ireland where I had my son taken from me after birth in 1981. Up Until 25/12/2020 I had not touched a drop …from the 25/12/20 I had the odd drink every couple of months or so but nothing like before. Five days ago on 27/8/21 I decided that it was not for me as I just didn’t enjoy even the odd drink …I personally believe it was not a relapse as such but an attempt at moderating which I have come to realise is not for me as I was not enjoying it anyway if that makes sense? . This is just my personal opinion and I totally understand and appreciate that other people may look at it differently.

Anyway just want to say hi and hope to stay here to carry on my intentions. Thank you for reading this and blessings to you all :frog:

15 Likes

Everyone has their own recovery journey. You do you :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing your background. I can’t imagine what you have been through. Welcome x

1 Like

Welcome to TS Anna. This is a great group to find support, to give support, to learn, to be inspired, to share. the more the better, and how you got here doesn’t matter, as the name implies we all share a willingness to be sober here. Glad to have you aboard, thanks for the share. Some horrible stuff in your history lady. Welcome again and all success in your journey.

1 Like

Hey @Nanna8 it’s good to have you here :wink: I hadn’t heard of that scandal before, wow - I am deeply sorry for you… :heart: There are so many untold stories. I too had ptsd, but for different reasons I now understand at the root of my addictions - and I’m finally overcoming my pride or fear? by seeing a psychologist to see how it might help :slightly_smiling_face: We’re strong, smart and potentially limitless in this life :muscle::sunflower:

1 Like

Welcome @Nanna8 thank you for your share, I’m sorry you had to go through that :pensive: I’m so glad you are here with us, it’s lovely to meet you :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you for the kind welcome :pray:

Thank you …I’m trying to get to see someone but the waiting lists are so long …

1 Like

Welcome. I wouldn’t last 1 day trying to moderate my drinking. I know my habit all too well.

1 Like

Welcome. I had heard something of the scandal you’re talking about and my deepest heart felt sympathy for your pain.

I think we all have our own path that we walk on and we handle our sobriety in the way that suits our needs. I think what matters here is how you view the drink situation. If you don’t see it as a relapse, then it wasn’t. I can understand how you would approach that. If you didn’t have the same emotional attachment and addiction mindset, then I think that’s a win.

1 Like

You have hit the nail on the head that’s EXACTLY how I view it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: