Hello from me

Hi thanks for having me.
Uk guy aged 52 with a massive drink problem.
Coming to the end of day 3.

The last time I got sober I managed 47 days which was a good few years ago. My health used to be ok but since Covid I have doubled my alcohol intake, put on 3.5 stones and now my job and my relatioship is being tested. Drinking over 75cl of vodka and 4 large beers most nights will do that to you!

I feel that if I can’t abstain from alcohol now then I never will.

Please wish me luck.

Thanks again. :blush:

18 Likes

Welcome @AuldGuy !
It’s really hard changing old habits but it’s definitely something you can do. All those things you mentioned is a solid motivator to remind you when the going gets tough.
:wave::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You have definitely come to the right place for support.
I wish you lost of strength in this journey.
47 days is really good. I know you can do that and much more.
Have a look around at the different topics here.
Lots of good reads.

Welcome to the TS community.

3 Likes

If i could do it, you could do it.
Well actually i didnt really do it, i just let god do it for me.

Out of desperation, i had no other choice.

Good luck, you’ll do good.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. Three days is fantastic. One day at a time. You can do this.

2 Likes

Welcome to this community.Three days is really good. Take it day by day. I know you can do this. I altered my consciousness for 54 years and it took a suicide attempt to get me to rehab. I am now more than 4 months clean. No opiates no weed no problem. If God can lead me into the light ,well I don’t have to finish this thought.

5 Likes

Welcome @AuldGuy youve found an awesome resource here. I credit this app and AA with getting me 4 months into sobriety after 20 long years of increasing consumption! Take a look around and find support, motivation, laughs, and crys.

Hope to hear more from ya!

3 Likes

Welcome! Coming to the end of day 3 here as well. Reading and posting is very helpful. We’re all in this together!

2 Likes

Welcome, brother.

You don’t need luck, you need a plan. You are motivated now, so this is the time to take action! Sobriety requires good intentions and a willing attitude, tempered with an action plan. For myself, I was on Antabuse (disulfiram), went to individual counseling, went to AA, went to an outpatient alcohol treatment program. Oh, and I got arrested and had to provide a clean breath sample every day for 5 months before trial. I took that motivation and those actions and have managed to get sober and happy and centered.

Here are some ideas others have followed to get sober and stay sober. Blessings on your house :pray: as you start your journey.

8 Likes

Thank you everyone, your response and support is very much appreciated. :+1:

3 Likes

You CAN do it, The help and support is here for you. The knowledge is here for you. Knowledge from people who have gone before you. Welcome to the site and welcome to a new way of life if that is what you want and what you are able to commit to getting for yourself.

2 Likes

Maybe try a meeting might help . Am a Auld guy as well and if i can do it anyone can wish you well

Welcome! I have found this forum to be a very valuable resource in my sobriety.

@AuldGuy , you’ve been quiet for a while. If you’re having trouble staying sober, that has happened to me plenty of times. I had good intentions sometimes, and at others times I just wanted the consequences (wife, job, legal trouble) to go away.

Let us know how you are, no matter how you feel about it.

2 Likes