Hello, new to group, and desperate

I can not to seem to get more than 5 days sobers. These pain pills have a horrible grip on me. My biggest problem is the obsession my mind goes into. It’s like it focuses on using and the cravings will last for hours. Besides mediation does anybody maybe have some advice to help with the cravings. Thank you in advance for any help

Opiates were a bitch for me to quit. Have you considered a detox center or rehab?

I actually went to a detox place for 7 days in 2012. I remember I came home feeling worse than when I went in . The meds they give you wear off in a few hours once home and the withdrawals start all over again. I just need to learn to stop the obsession and craving. I’ve been fighting this war for years now.

1 Like

Yeah, 7 days isn’t long enough in my mind. I did a full 30 days and it helped a lot more. They also put me on a Subutex taper. I’m not sure where you live, but you can go to your doctor and look into that or Suboxone.

If you go cold turkey at home you should consider taking time off work and just hunker down for a week

Lol, suboxone for some reason doesn’t work for me. We have tried numerous times now. And unfortunately I can not get away for 7 to 30 days anymore. I have a familily that depends on me and a business to run. Thank you again for reachiing out to me. I’m gonna have to just fight this 1 day at a time. Thank you again for reachiing out to me.

I’m not sure if Subutex is available or zubsolv? They are similar but a little different so it could work. I agree that one day at a time is the way to go, but I’m going to keep brain storming ideas to give you the best possible chance at doing this. Have you considered the AA/NA route? Won’t do anything for the physical symptoms but can help greatly with the emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of the disease, which are very important to fix

1 Like

I’ve gone to many meetings on and off now for years. I guess I never found a group i really liked bc I would walk out of the meeting more miserable than when I went in. Hearing others problems just made me think of my own situation which bummed me out even worse. Today I will be trying suboxone again in Hope that it alleviates the cravings and not just the WD

Sounds like you were doing NA. Maybe consider AA as the message is sometimes different

2 Likes

So the suboxone does help alittle with the withdrawals. It just does nothing what’s so ever for the cravings. And its nuts bc the craving will last days. It literally takes over my mind.

Even worse I feel guilty for even trying suboxone again. Bc when someone is on suboxone they are not totally clean. I feel that it’s just substituting one chemical for another. I’m truly gonna try a 30 day taper this time. I just have to find a way to deal with these intense cravings.

I’m on suboxone and I consider myself clean…I’m no longer on percocet and hydromorph contin and 75+ tylenol 3’s. I smoke pot…I consider myself clean…you should too. Hit me up anytime

3 Likes

You need to read up on long term opiate abuse changing brain chemistry. Once you have the proper tools in your toolbox you’ll know what you’re up against. I abused every opiate imaginable for almost a decade and a half. The only way i got clean was with suboxone. I now have over 100 days clean. It can be done but you’re going to have to feel like shit in order to feel better. There is no easy fix.

2 Likes

Also changing your thought process from: “I need this to feel better”
“If i don’t get pills I’m gonna be sick”

To this: If I keep taking this shit it’s going to kill me or make me sick"

Helped me alot when i decided that today is the day. I jumped from 4mg of sub and called my Dr and cancelled my appt. I didn’t feel very good for the 1st 2 weeks, then it was another 7-10 weeks before i felt 90% normal (whatever that is) But trust me if you want it bad enough that’s what it’s going to take. Good Luck, I’m not selling you a dream it’s HARD!!!

But it can be done, there’s tons of people here, in recovery still going strong.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with taking Suboxone if it’s prescribed. Just make sure your doctor has a plan to ween you off of it bc going cold turkey is worse than coming off street drugs.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice. I know this is gonna be a crap show for the next few weeks. I appreciate all the comments. Once I can control these cravings I should be good. I’m gonna stick to this sub program and make it work. Thank you again to everyone that responded. I needed to hear from people that know what I’m going thru

You’re in a war for your life, Fight it!

It’s so much better once you make it from out of the foxhole. It sucks but sobriety is 100% within reach so don’t let other idiots tell you different. That was my problem the 1st time i tried quitting, i had ppl in my ear telling me I’d never be normal, I’ll be on opiates for the rest of my life, yadda yadda. It’s all bullshit. It’s natural to have doubt, anxiety, depression, when you’re coming off these hard drugs. You can’t give in to temptation or the clock starts all over again.

1 Like

So most of you know already it’s insane the hold these things can have on our soul. Earlier someone said longterm use changes the brain chemistry which is absolutely true. I know I have to be be strong to do this. But I cant lie I’m terrified bc i seem to get more than 4 to 7 days without roxy’s ( while still using suboxen,) Sounds crazy but true. The subs only get the withdrawals alway but do nothing for cravings

1 Like