Help me make it this time

No one has ever know about my addiction, that I am aware of. In turn I have no one to talk to about my sobriety when things get hard. Tonight will mark 7 days sober. This all started when I broke my back at 21 and the doctors put me on strong pain meds and I have not been able to kick it since. When the doctors stopped being so generous with the pain meds I switched to Kratom which I can get legally and I’ve spiraled from there. I really want to make it this time. I’m tired of being a slave to this addiction. The withdrawals are killing me, I’ve read that the physical side effects will last around 10 days but when does it get easier? How am I going to be able to do this alone? I want to be clean and sober from the opiate addiction that has taken over my life and finances. I have stole to get high from the ones closest to me and it kills be to be that person. Idk how I’m going to make it but I pray this community will help me.

13 Likes

Hi pal and welcome.

I am also an addict of opiates (along with everything else) and I feel your post. It’s hard to be where you are right now.
7 days is a huge deal! You are at the cusp finishing the really bad part of withdraws. And like my sponsor always says, (don’t fuck it up) :wink:

I was taught that there is only one really wrong way to get sober, and that is Alone. As addicts we need help. In my own opinion (and millions of others opinions) that help must come from a fellow addict/alcoholic. Only a fellow addict can understand what another addict is struggling with and why.

There are plenty of us here. Good people. It helps
I need more help than the internet could offer.
I found that help at Alcoholics Anonymous. There was the only place that I found relief. And lots of it.

I would suggest you check out some meetings. I know it’s scary, but so is using. You don’t have to talk or anything. Just go and listen. Maybe you will find some relief

I’m glad you are here Pal
Thanks for sharing!

10 Likes

My story is very similar to yours. I went to outpatient detox for 10 days and was able to return to my full-time job on the 11th day. You’re very close to the end of the significant withdrawal symptoms. Hang in there and remember, you’ll never have to feel this way again. Continued support is crucial to my recovery so I go to AA meetings at least twice a week and spend time on this forum daily. Not many people succeed at doing this alone so I suggest you get involved with a program like AA or NA.

4 Likes

Hello K you came to the right place. About 15 month back I came here looking and feeling like shit. Had just quit drinking cold turkey after years on it, this community helped me a lot, give yourself that chance, think better, body healthier, more money in your pocket and being able to remember things you do are some of the benefits of staying sober. Hope everything go well for you. You need any help just holler.

1 Like

It,s in your head. Opiates are subtile liars. I took for 2 years a lot of Tramadol, Codein. 5 Days nervoues wrack, 3 months bad sleep. But now a happy man! It,s worth ! Stay sober !

4 Likes

Welcome! I am always amazed at how kind and compassionate this community is, I need to utilize it more actually and I hope to be on here more often.

Something I think about: that little voice that tells you you need to do it, you can do it just this one time and be ok, you had a bad day so you deserve it, no one will know if you do it just once – that voice is very big and strong right now but you already have the tools to fight it. You can say no to it, you can tell it it’s lying to you, you can tell it that you know it doesn’t have your best interests in mind, that it wants you to fail.

And the more you tell it no the smaller and weaker it gets. It takes practice and time but just remember that voice that makes you want to relapse is not working for you it’s working against you. Because what you really want is sobriety, tell yourself that over and over, say that to yourself at the start of every day “What I really want is sobriety” and the voice will get quieter. You can do this!

2 Likes

Welcome! Please know that you are loved by someone. No one is completely alone even though it may feel that way. Your body is screaming at you to give it what it wants, but if you can replace that with something more productive, it will at least calm your body down. Try yoga, or walking, or running, or chocolates, or meditation… Find something that soothes your body. There is a disconnect right now between your mind and your body. All you need to do to survive is continue forward in clean time. And, if you slip, know that you are still loved, and you can try again, and again, and again… It gets easier, please believe that :slight_smile:

1 Like

You guys are the best support I could had ever asked for! I am almost 10 days clean and sober. The physical withdrawal symptoms have finally calmed down. I had a HUGE accomplishment yesterday. I went to the smoke shop to get vape juice and that is where I have bought my Kratom usually. I saw it on the shelves and for a second I thought I’ll get a little bottle. But guess what! I walked out with zero Kratom! I never want to go through withdrawal again, ever. That is my motivation right now. I feel clear headed for the first time in years! Guys almost TEN DAYS!! This is the longest I’ve gone without opiates or Kratom in probably 10+ years and I feel great. I can’t thank you all enough for all of your inspiration and kind words.

1 Like

Your doing awesome!! Your stronger than you thought :wink: Keep going one day at a time :muscle:

Keep going. There are going to be harder days than others but once you get over that big hump you’ll feel great and won’t even think about it again. Time. Day by day.

1 Like

Guess I made it 15 days. Day 13 was rough with anxiety and many urges. But day 15 I feel much better. I can’t believe I’ve made it this far. Thank you for all of your support guys!

Just keep moving forward and try not to dwell on the past. Get a sponsor. And be good to yourself

1 Like