Help me overcome my triggers

I am having a hard time overcoming certain triggers to drink. I wake up fully committed to stay sober but then my triggers come and I feel like I am possessed and fall over track just like that.

How do you overcome triggers. Please share to help

1 Like

I confront them. If I feel I am not strong enough to confront a particular trigger yet, I avoid the situation. This is a journey, it will not happen all at once unfortunately. We have to work on our issues, learn to be our own best friends, learn to be selfless. We have to be patient and ready for ups and downs. No more hiding. Hang in there.

3 Likes

I try to avoid situations, but when I canā€™t, I try to remember why I started, why Iā€™m trying to make a change in my life, and how good Iā€™ll feel if I donā€™t mess up. In my situation, I like to trick myself, by telling myself ā€œit will be there tomorrowā€. In that weird way, itā€™s like telling myself to be paiteint, even though eventually I hope to get to that point where I donā€™t want it at all.

So most importantly have a strong reason why. Even if thereā€™s no one to help you, hold on to that purpose and tell yourself that you set that goal for a reason; write it down. Also donā€™t look at what you canā€™t do, look for what you can do.

PS. The little inspirational qoutes on here are really helpful

1 Like

There is a ā€œquoteā€ from a popular book that my wife shared with me some 20 years ago, it has always stuck with me. To agnostically summarise:

There is no temptation that we cannot bear and we have the power to endure such temptations.

I think of that quote whenever Iā€™m triggered, having cravings or feeling weak.

1 Like

I know what you mean, feeling possessed. I felt that way often. Like suddenly I was not making the decisions, just watching myself partake even though I didnā€™t want to. I had to be aware that this feeling of possession could come at any moment, drive me to the store, buy alcohol, drink itā€¦ i think what helped me was playing the tape forward, to the moments and hours after I drank- how I would feel and if I really wanted that. It helped most times.

1 Like

AA has been invaluable to me. Could work for you too.

2 Likes

Try a meeting prob help you with your triggers wish you well

2 Likes

ā€œLook for what you can doā€ā€“that is great advice!!!So is the rest of your post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good thing to do is stop doing the same old shit you always do. When you do the same things over and over, it becomes a habit and habits become ingrained.

Take a different way home. Walk the dog on a different path. Watch a different tv show. Call/text different friends. Cook something new.

1 Like

Do you have any physical triggers at home? I never kept alcohol at home (I just went to the store and bought it every day I was off haha) and thankfully my hubby hardly drinks. I stayed home the first week, except to get the kids from school, go to the gym or go to work. Now I can run errands and go to the grocery storeā€¦ just not to any favorite restaurants. Not ready to hang around those who drink either. Day 17 today.

I avoided people and places that are strong triggers the first month and re envoy have gone out to dinner and spent time with friends I used to drink with. I try to focus on my. Voice to be sober anadmall the positive things I have replaced alcohol with. I have slowly told people people that I am no longer drinking prior to seeing them.

Identify what your triggers are, and make a plan in advance to deal with them. Going out with friends? Drive separately and have a sober friend to call from the bathroom if need be. Feeling particularly anxious? Tempted to drink at home? Get all the booze out of your house. Going out? Let at least one person with you know ahead of time that you are not drinking. Be accountable to someone.

Sometimes my plans have to have back up plansšŸ˜‰. But each day I promise myself that I will not drink that day - no matter what I have to do. Sometimes that means looong walks. Sometimes it means eating copious amounts of ice cream. Sometimes it means staying home from an event. Sometimes it means reading a lot of threads on here. For me, it often means going to an AA meeting or calling a sober friend.

If I donā€™t have a plan? Itā€™s too damn easy to get caught off guard and take a drink.

2 Likes