Help needed, What things remind you it's winter

One of my mentors has tasked us to write a poem/story about winter…

I’ve decided to go for things that remind me it’s winter…
So far I have…

1. A stew with dumplings cooking slowly on the stove, as you inhale that beautiful aroma knowing soon enough you’ll have a warm belly filler!

2. The hunt for the bobble hats, funky mittens & the extra long scalf that needs wrapping around your neck twice which are deep in the back of a closet somewhere! Yet you refuse to stop searching until you’ve found your favourite woollen set.

3. Those dark mornings & those even darker nights, that make it a struggle to get out of your toastie bed. So you inch your big toe from under the blanket, immediately you regret your decision as the chill goes straight up your spine. As you debate with yourself that ten more minutes is needed in the warmth.

4. A must is the hot chocolate, whipped cream & marshmellows that can only be made in your favourite novelty mug. It doesn’t matter how old you are you think you are wiser on taking that first sip and still you burn your tongue…

I’d appreciate some input on other winter moments/memories…
As i’m struggling!

8 Likes

The smell! I know that’s weird, but winter air just has this cold fresh fragrance about it. :cloud_with_snow:

5 Likes

I just finished some hot cocoa. :yum:

I think of frosty mornings with trees covered in glistening fresh snow. Icicles hanging from the eaves and smoke curling from the chimney. Walking in the crunchy snow with my dog. She romps in snow with unbridled delight.

3 Likes

I also romp in snow, delight unbridled. Must say it never feels like winter to me until I’ve been in snow

2 Likes

-Rolling balls of snow on the ground to make a snowman
-Silence, pure silence cuz when it snows it just eerily quiet

6 Likes

Depression kicks in full gear😂

3 Likes

When I walk my dog through the neighborhood, I love the smell of everyone’s fireplace. The smell of the wood burning comes and goes with each gust of wind.

4 Likes

Cold toilet seats in the middle of the night lol

1 Like

@anon53116147 many people suffer with the blue when it comes to winter… Im gonna have to incorporate that one and @JBug nothing like a shock to the system… Made me giggle!

1 Like

Nose drips. Frozen fingertips. Hard nips. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fireplaces. Foggy windows. Warming up your car. Scrapping ice off the windshield. Shovelling snow in the driveway. Crunching snow. The quiet after a thick snow. The moonlight on fresh snow. Footprints in wet snow.

3 Likes

Hard nips… That make me howl :rofl:

2 Likes

Hahaha oh good :slight_smile:

1 Like

schaatsen

2 Likes

the lovely cold air coming in when you open the window in the morning.
long dark nights to cuddle in bed with tea and book.
empty trees in the lazy winter sun.
the perfect silence when it snows.
the memory of my nonna and her delicious christmas cookies.
the smell of cinnamon.
impatient waiting for the first snow.
this happy, cozy feeling when you come home freezing and inside it’s warm and maybe some tea or hot chocolate is waiting for you.

3 Likes

Seeing sunrises with little effort, the falling temperature of the water, frost on blades of grass, lighting the stove and seeing the cat stretch out in front of it when he gets too hot.

3 Likes

Warm, colorful, seasonally themed socks. Like with santas and snowflakes.

2 Likes

The cold air when you step outside early in the morning, & Christmas, everything about it (the songs, trees, decorations etc)

2 Likes

I love how quiet the snow makes it outside. Going for a winter walk in the silence is perfect.

1 Like