Help needed with alcohol

I’m new to recovery and it’s killing me… I got paid today and I will have the weekend to myself and I’m scared I’m going to slip… I believe in myself and know I’m better off not doing it cause I have my kids, but the urge is so real…

6 Likes

Stay strong, Tasha. Your kids deserve a authentic, happy mom! You do too…:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

1 Like

I like to make a pros and cons list of drinking. By the end I see that the pros aren’t even really pros, and the cons are monumental. Cravings are normal though, but they will pass :slight_smile:
Try to find something to keep you busy! I like to write or make art.
Xo

11 Likes

Do you have a safe space you can spend the weekend? Maybe at a friend’s place or a sibling or someone you trust.

And/or - why not take the time to listen in on some meetings online. Do it! So many awesome people, and you won’t feel so alone. It’s helpful to get out of your own head:
Online meeting resources

3 Likes

Think back to why you quit drinking and hold on to that every time you get a craving. If u got free time why not try some aa meetings on zoom they really help to keep you focused and it’s great to here how others live a life away from drinking. X

2 Likes

Welcome Tasha. Congrats on making the decision to get sober. I find keeping busy helps me. Start a new project in your home or take up a new hobby. Get out, take walks and enjoy nature. I now stop while out walking and soak in all that fresh air and beauty that I never noticed while drinking and drugging. Maybe start going to AA meetings either in person or online. I get so much strength and hope from others in recovery by going to meetings. Wishing you the best on your sober journey.

3 Likes

Strip your house from alcohol and fill your fridge with nice healthy foods and alc free drinks. Is there someting sweet you really like? Like icecream, chocolat, cookies ore something else?
Buy that too!
Keep yourself busy with activaties you like ore invest in “me time”. How about a long bath with a motivating podcast about recovery? Search for “Recovery elevator”, it’s a good one!
Come here if you crave! Talking about it helps!
Focus on today and today only and do the same tomorrow. It makes it douable!!
Almost 2 years sober myself with help of this app and the people in it.
Go get that sober life!! For you and your kids!!

6 Likes

Agree with few other posts. I’m similar. Weigh up the payback against reality, what is the benefit of drinking, what’s the lift? I focus on this and is it worth the negatives one me and my family? Usually no so I make a choice. Stay strong and remember what’s important to you and what you can control. We’re all here.

2 Likes

You are not alone, believe me. We have all been there. That’s because we are so used to just taking the easy path and drinking.
We now have to create new thought patterns and habits and this is no easy thing to do.
I found it an almost physical fight for a few weeks at least.
Reach out on here, read around on here. And stay strong.
You are right, you do have it in you to do this, for yourself. Start with yourself and your kids will appreciate it.

5 Likes

I want everyone to know I’m going strong and haven’t touched alcohol and I’m really proud of myself. :two_hearts: been doing more me time at the end of the day and it’s going way easier than I thought it would. Thank you all for the support and amazing uplifting words. :two_hearts:

7 Likes

hello Tasha welcome :innocent: its not worth it beileve me have fun with the kiddos spend your money in a healthy way dont give in because the after effect is going to suck dont do it i like how your aware thats its not the road to take i think you should be fine trust yourself everything will be ok money weekend have fun with the kids or spoil yourself. A little hope this helps much love :heart:

1 Like

Good for you Tasha! :partying_face:

How are you today?

Might try that one day.

2 Likes