Help! Social gatherings

Hi! Just coming up on 4 months. How do you deal with being in social settings without drinking? Any tips?? I was a social drinker but always took it to far. Couldn’t ever just stop at one

3 Likes

Welcome!

I stayed clear of big social gatherings for the first 6 months or so. I was able to justify it partially because i got sober during the worst beginning stages of the pandemic, so most places were shut down anyway.

That’s really only the surefire way to be safe.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply! I wish I could steer clear but my job has a lot of social gatherings & I have my cousin’s wedding in 2 days. I did just go to a gathering that happened to be in a bar a few days ago & I didn’t drink anything but a sprite. It’s just very hard to adjust because the first thing I’d do at a gathering before would be order a drink …

I totally get it. Check out this thread:

Frequently asked questions about sobriety for newcomers

If you scroll down about half way, there’s a section with some links to threads about going to social events and specifically weddings. It’s the section called “Should I go to the party, wedding, holiday get together? And what about drink after work?”

1 Like

Thanks so much checking it out now!

1 Like