Help! Surgery…

Good Morning TS family!
I need some advice! I am having an upcoming outpatient procedure. I’ve been really sick again and they believe that one of the medications I was taking thinned my stomach lining and my have a possible bleeding ulcer. I’m schedule for the 23rd of this month to have an EDG and they said that they give fentanyl when putting me out. I am over 3 1/2 years sober and it scares the hell out of me. Idk what to do. I would be in a controlled area under Doctors supervision and won’t be given any drugs after the procedure but just the word fentanyl scares me. I do have another option and they would to be hospitalized and I would be put completely out which would be great but they do not have any openings until mid October. Any advice you guys can give is very much appreciated!

4 Likes

Are you concerned about resetting? Medication given during procedures would not count as a reset. If you’re concerned with how this will effect your mindset after the procedure, put extra effort into your recovery by leaning on your network and doubling up on meetings. We’ll be here to help you through this.

I’m an opiod addict (2 yrs in recovery) and I wouldn’t hesitate to have fentanyl in a controlled environment if needed to get to the bottom of a medical issue. But I would certainly reject any take home meds.

I hope all goes well and you get answers.

6 Likes

Thank you Lisa! I actually just spoke to my PCP and she said it’s in a controlled environment and it’s just to put me to sleep and there way too many risks with my health to be put under all the way. It makes me feel so much better.

6 Likes

Glad you had a talk with your PCP to put your mind at ease. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how it goes. :pray:

3 Likes

I have nothing to add to what Lisa has said other than I asked my doctor to not give me any prescription opiates for my recovery after surgery and they still did while I was still woozy. I suggest some vigilance there.

2 Likes

My Dr. said that there would no meds being prescribed after and if they are my mom will be with me (yes, im over 40 and still have my mom come with me to my appt :rofl:) and I would hand them over to her. I am confident in myself. I just needed to talk it out! Thank you ladies @Lisa07 :purple_heart: I will keep you updated! I haven’t been on here much but it my go to place when im struggling or need advice.

3 Likes

Ha! If my Mami was nearby she would totally be requested at all appointments! I’m glad to hear that for you.

2 Likes

Maybe they could prescribe something besides Fen. :thinking:

1 Like

Just posted a similar thread yesterday. Hope yours all goes smoothly.

My own strategy is mostly to stay close to recovery, and to be very open with my recovery mates about it. Even found one who said they could be my ride for the day. Take no drugs home besides ordinary aspirin or whatever. Get to some meetings right away to stay in the right head space.

Sometimes the best we can do is talk about it. “Tell on ourselves.” Put ourselves somewhere we can be reminded why we’re doing this sober thing.

Fentanyl pretty heavy stuff. Sounds like you already mentioned to your doc you’re in recovery tho?

At any rate, as I was told here, be vigilant but give the doctors every opportunity to succeed.

2 Likes