Help with Drug Dreams

I’m over a year sober, & I haven’t had any drug dreams in several months, but the last four nights I’ve had the most intense, vivid dreams about using heroin, & they’re freaking me out a bit.

In the past, when I’ve had drug dreams while trying to stay sober, it was usually a sign that I would end up using a few weeks later (at least).

I haven’t had dreams like this for several months, and now they’re coming up every night, & I’m a bit freaked out. They’re usually very intense, too.

I really don’t want to relapse… I have been having a rough time of it lately (I’ll spare you the detail about that) & I’m a bit worried that I’ll eventually reach a breaking point & give up.

How normal is it to NOT have any drug dreams for over 6 months, then to have them come flushing in with intensity every night for almost a week? Does anyone else have drug dreams before a relapse, or is this always just a normal part of recovery (even over a year later)?

2 Likes

This info has helped me understand my relapse dreams:

4 Likes

Im not over a year clean and sober but am at just over 11 months. I think drug dreams are fairly common. I do get them occasionally. They are always upsetting like u said and definitely vary in intensity. I think for me… its all how i look at them. I can choose to let them effect me and worry me so much that it could potentially cause a relapse (self sabotage in the sense that what i believe the dreams mean… an upcoming relapse, will truly happen) OR… i can choose to look at them as maybe a warning sign where it shows me that i need to put more work into my recovery, get back to the basics, and to do more daily recovery related work. Dreams are just dreams tho and i think when weve been using for so long, its natural that an occasional dream pops up or a thought. Its what we do with that dream or thought that matters.

2 Likes

Hi friend! I totally agree with the people who have already commented.
So you have relapsed in the past after having dreams? What is your plan to make this time different?

The thing is, the choices you make are up to you. They aren’t up to dreams you had, or the people who you spend time with. (Sidenote)- At this point you should have definitely cut off contact with all of the people who you used with, and if you haven’t - it is time. Keeping in contact with those people is like keeping a baggie and a needle in your back pocket. Block those people. ALL OF THEM. Call a sponsor, or get a sponsor, or find someone who is sober who you can trust with your sobriety. Make the decision to do it differently.
Only you have the ability to make the decision every single minute of every single day not to use. Let the dreams be dreams and live your life and work on your recovery every day.

These dreams still happen to me sometimes and I am coming up on 6 years :open_mouth:. They are just dreams, not prophecy.

2 Likes

I haven’t relapsed yet, but when I have using dreams, I put more work into my sobriety to avoid going down the rabbit hole. I go back to basics which includes coming here more often, going to more meetings and sharing, make sure to do morning readings, and meditation/prayer. I don’t have these dreams very often after 3+ years but when I do, that’s a sign that I’m not doing enough sobriety work.

3 Likes

This was really helpful & informative, thank you!

1 Like

Im a demerol addict, and i some time have dreams about it, the next day of having dreams the temptation were hard for me some times i relapse,i hope you can make it forever clean,
I do have a questin for the folks, is the temptations gonna chase us for life, or they will be forgoten later?

My DOC was alcohol, i can only speak for myself…im around 14 months sober…somewhere at around 9 months i went from doing everything i could in my power to just not drink to not WANTING to drink anymore so yes i believe it does get better but as far as addiction goes i believe i will never be cured but in recovery for the rest of my life