Hi, I'm Pickles

I found with SMOBRIETY (8-1/2 years grateful & thankful now) that deciding to QUIT was very hard (“The Event”) for me. The Stay Quit brought a lot of personal growth (“The Process”) but wasn’t easy either.

A lot of similarities for all addictions I see. Get one under control another one wants to bulge out (even one that wasn’t known or a problem before). Hmmmm. Thinking.

2 Likes

Hi Pickles! Welcome to TS :blush:

I drink Kombucha for the same reasons, and I actually just like the taste. At no point have I felt triggered by the drink or addicted. Like you said the % of actual alcohol is so low it’s like an NA beer.

I personally wouldn’t worry about that, but if you can get away from the wine you’ll be better off in the long run…I loved my wine, and then loved vodka…and then finally just couldn’t stand myself…until now anyways!

Stay healthy and be blessed!

I look forward to chatting with ya!

:blush::raised_hands:t2::ocean::sun_with_face:

1 Like

Hi, @pickles! I’m glad you’re here. From personal experience, I know the word alcoholic can have some really appalling connotations. For quite a while, I danced around it, but I finally came to the conclusion that the word only has the power I allow it to have. Am an alcoholic? Yep. But it’s not my defining characteristic, unless I let it be. I used alcohol as a very unhealthy coping mechanism, and then I decided to do something different. So, yeah, I’m an alcoholic. But I’m also a loyal friend, a hard worker, a proud sister and daughter and granddaughter. All of us are so many things, one word simply can’t define us.

You’re here because you’re concerned about your drinking. You don’t have to call yourself an alcoholic. You don’t have to be an alcoholic! You can just be you, wanting to try something different, and we’ll all still be here to lend what support we can as you figure out your path. And I, for one, am very glad you’re here!

PS- I wouldn’t worry about the Kombucha so much. The sheer amount of kombucha you’d have to drink to get a buzz would mean you’d be peeing every two seconds. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

We’ve all been there Pickles. Welcome home. I think you’ll find a lot of the people here have been in your shoes :innocent:

4 Likes

Hey Pickles - welcome! I can relate to a lot of your post. I would hit the wine shop after a good yoga class, hey - it was right on the way home - not like I was going out of my way! I could go a day or two without wine, no problem (er, sort of) but always had a plan that the 5-day cleanse or whatever it was would end with a trip back to the wine shop. In the end - it wasn’t only the amount I drank that had become “questionable” (to say the least), but just how much mental space was taken up by moderating my consumption: the efforts it took to go without, to actually have only one glass or two (at the stupid bartender line). SO MUCH EFFORT! I could also easily justify that I had earned that drink/bottle on any given day - a good/hard/fun/sad/happy/stressful day.

When I wake up in the morning, refreshed, free of shame and remorse and a hangover, and know that I am absolutely not drinking today - even just for the day - I have a lot more mental space. So much more real estate in my mind! And it feels amazing to put my head on the pillow knowing I’m going to love waking up without a hangover.

@Matt and @TSan put it well. Never mind what you call it. Just do today. :orange_heart:

EDIT: as for yoga from home during lockdown? only a few days before signing up here, last spring, I was rehydrating with prosecco beside my yoga mat. antigrowth! :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Welcome Pickles! Glad you are here!

Welcome pickles!! :pray::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::trophy::tada:

Hi and welcome here 🙋
A lot of good suggestions you’ve got from other members. So I hope to see you around often and welcome into a heathier lifestyle! :confetti_ball:

Welcome Pickles!.. I can relate to the wine. All was ok until life through me several different curve balls. Mum got diagnosed with lung cancer, dad had heart attack (ok this time but poorly), nephew died of carbon monoxide poisoning, mum died, dad had another heart attack. Family fractured… wine, wine, wine! Then I couldn’t stop! Opening a second bottle each night, feeling ill, depressed but the wine kept me going :astonished: NOT! Then 12 years later, little sister killed herself leaving my nephew and niece behind and I finally broke down! The wine was all good at first but as soon as life got hard it was my go to! If you think you have a problem babe, you probably do! Glad you’re here! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Howdy hears a thought

5 Likes