Hi, I'm Pickles

Hi … Pickles here … or at least that’s what I’ll go by.

Not even sure if I belong here. I’m sure that statement is so NOT original.

I like to drink … Wine , but I am finding that in this Covid stay-at-home era that my drinking “enjoyment” has definitely increased along with my alone time.

Also, when I began Yoga I was introduced to Kombucha … a fermented drink I also enjoy. It doesn’t officially count as alcoholic since it is under the official % but in full disclosure I find myself enjoying it in more quantity too, Anyone else dealing with this?

I used to have “only” a drink or two of wine (full glass none of this bartender skimpy line measurement) every few days but now it has become something I look forward to regularly and I don’t always stop at just a few (a bottle a day is not unusual), Kombucha the same thing … 8 oz (glass) or bottle (16 oz) after Yoga but now forget the Yoga practice & usually 16 oz.

I don’t know if this makes me a alcoholic. I go a few days without anything at home & I live ok without but I do think about enjoying them & plan on when I will replenish my supply. Drinking does help me relax (ya I hear myself here) but my Yoga practice has pretty well stopped (no in person classes due to Covid but at-home practice too is a skip mostly).

I know it’s up to me to decide if it interferes with my life, relationships, etc. Obviously, I know that it has become an important part of “relaxing” in my life and the reason I am here.

11 Likes

Welcome Pickles! It’s nice to meet you. As someone who was also “pickled” not in wine but in another problem - I hear where you’re coming from.

Whether you have a problem or not - maybe don’t worry about that for now. For now, just focus on going a day without booze. That’s all that matters. Today.

You are enough to handle your life without wine. All humans are born with the ability to relax and be enough for themselves and their needs, without wine. This is your opportunity to take on your life and become your full self, the way you were born to be. This is a good thing: welcome to the next chapter of your life! :innocent:

Have a look around here, read people’s stories. Explore. Don’t worry about whether you “belong”. Let’s start with this: I accept you. Let’s start from there.

8 Likes

most people that don’t think they need help don’t go searching the Internet for recovery forums but thank god for you that you did and found this one bc your gonna find all the advice and support you need, all you have to do is ask, read, listen and take action. I wish you well on your journey :+1:

5 Likes

Thank you. Good thoughts for me to “think” on.

1 Like

Thanks. I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t questioning myself. I agree. The amount & frequency can change quickly & so can its detrimental affects.

2 Likes

Thank You!

1 Like

While you’re “thinking” remember to be gentle to yourself. Indulge yourself in other things which you can enjoy without alcohol:

• cooking & baking
  • baths (baths! I developed a love for baths - they help me at the end of the day - I swear they’re my magic sleeping ticket)
  • walks in the outdoors
  • etc etc

Explore your interests which you’ve maybe been neglecting by going to the default of alcohol. You’ll be surprised how many fun things you can enjoy sober!

For the moment let yourself eat and drink whatever non alcoholic stuff you want. You’ll find you’ll have cravings & snacking. It’s ok. Your body will settle out later :innocent:

2 Likes

it’s a progressive illness it will always only get worse for people like us, for a true alcoholic moderation will never work so be ready for the long haul but to make things a bit easier on ourselves we break it down into 24 hour sections or less. I can do today for 12 hours what would appall me if I had to do it for a lifetime.

3 Likes

Getting back into Yoga would be a great start I’m thinking & a great alternative @ home. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s exactly what concerns me. It’s either none or an ongoing increase in consumption.

I am 8-1/2 years smoke free. It sounds like the same tools are needed here. One day (or hour) at a time to start. AND more importantly there is no such thing as “just one”. I admit I was still thinking I could control or drink in moderation. Need to get my thinking around that FACT and choose sobriety.

4 Likes

looks like you know the blueprint to success :+1:and congratulations on giving up smoking, especially as you’ve been drinking. I know I could not do that.

Knowing & doing are two different things. Sigh. Terrible response I know but honest … I’m wondering when the glass recycle guy will put a AA announcement on my bin when he empties it. I just started put “a bottle or two” in my garbage instead so another sign there “may be” a problem for me.

2 Likes

There’s a recurring motif in your words here :slightly_smiling_face: (and I’m observing this in a gentle way). If you’ll permit me to ask: what would you say intimidates you so much about that word?

1 Like

I was introduced to Kombucha at my Yoga studio. I use it as a probiotic. I was wondering if “any” alcohol content would trigger a want for something else too. Thanks for the input.

Welcome pickles! Hope you find the answers you are looking for.
I relate to your opening post. I don’t think I’m an alcoholic, but noticed the habit messing with other parts of my life. It’s just easier without it now. Not worth the mental energy of the negotiation. And i have a ton more time & entry for things I’ve been putting off. Which is an added side bonus of being booze free :+1:

And it’s nice to read here & chat. We all have similarities.
Enjoy!

2 Likes

Yes I know. I hear myself “talk”. I’m being honest & open and the reason I’m exploring it. I cannot say that the word alcoholic bothers me at all (really!). What DOES bother me is giving it all up. Getting my head around there being no moderation for me or control over it. Again, just like with smoking at one time I hear myself say, “but I enjoy it” and “it is not an issue for me” … yet.

1 Like

Can identify with this, “Not worth the mental energy of the negotiation.” I find myself procrastinating & putting off others things more & more and choosing to drink instead to “relax”. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Hey Pickles!! Love the name!

If you have a desire to stop drinking then absolutely you belong!!

From what you’ve written, you realize that something is not quite right and that seems to make you uncomfortable. I think a lot of people have a hard time coming to terms with their relationship to alcohol, I know I did. As far as being an alcoholic, that’s up to you to decide, and regardless of what you decide, it doesn’t make your decision to quit any more or less valid. Whether you are getting drunk every day, weekend binge drinker or just glass of wine a day, quitting is the easy part, it’s the learning to cope and navigate this life without alcohol that is the hard part, and that’s what we’re here for.

Welcome!

5 Likes

oh god don’t remind me :rofl::rofl::rofl:my bin was embarrassing, nothing but tins. I did consider taking it to the scrap yard and getting money for the metal by the tonne :grin:

2 Likes

hi, pickles! if you think you could have a drinking problem, you probably do. :wink: welcome! :heart:

2 Likes