Hi new here... Third attempt of quitting this year. Fingers crossed šŸ’ŖšŸ¼

Hi, this my first ever forum post discussing my alcoholism. Iā€™m 37 years old, a husband, a father and a teacher. My life is good until I drink. Iā€™m what youā€™d call a problem binge drinker. I drink Fridays & Saturdays and generally drink until Iā€™m unconscious on those days. My wife knows I have a problem, she doesnā€™t know the extent as I hide it pretty well. Sneaky whiskeys in the shed etc. I feel terrible after abusing myself & family. I have done two 6 week stints alcohol free this year but always sink back into itā€¦ Itā€™s like I canā€™t understand life without it after this amount of time. Iā€™m really hopeful this is it. Any tips would be much appreciated x

12 Likes

Welcome! Any clue what caused you to sink back into it? How did it play out? Might gain some relapse prevention insight, if you identify risk factors.

1 Like

Hi and welcome! This is a great place to be, thereā€™s so much support here. Search, read, reach out - Iā€™m sure you will find a lot that you can relate to. This thread is a really good place to start:

I read a book called This Naked Mind which helped me change the way I think about alcohol. Thereā€™s a book by Allen Carr which is similar and I know others here have found useful.

Find a new weekend routine - get an early night, get up with the sun and make the most of the day. Go for a walk or try out that thing youā€™ve always wanted to do but never got round to because you were too busy thinking about the next drink. It takes a while to get used to but stick with it and it will become your new normal :blush:

Being sober isnā€™t all sunshine and rainbows but there are no blackouts, no hangovers, and a lot less said and done to give you regrets!

3 Likes

Hi, I think the pattern of work triggered the last one. Iā€™d been off work on half term, 1st week back I battled through the cravings, 2nd week I failed. I also tend to fear a life without alcohol, I tend to worry about a future without it & letting people down.

1 Like

Thank you for your insight, I will definitely checkout this naked mind :+1:

1 Like

I am an around the clock style alcoholic, and quite heavy at that, but my strength is committing to quitting. However, I struggle with frequent relapses too. Iā€™m in detox #13 in the 4 years Iā€™ve had a drinking problem, (12 of those in three years). I like to think about the freedom to do whatever I want sober and stop feeling icky about hiding my habit. Writing down a list of all the reasons you want to stay sober, big and small (I recommend doing so on paper and keeping that w with you, in your wallet for example) can be hugely helpful. Take it out and read it and remember how valuable sobriety is.

3 Likes

AA has been invaluable to me, it could work for you too. Welcome.

3 Likes

Hi @Changingman ā€¦ first of all well done for asking for helpā€¦I am also a husband and father. My problem is also alcohol and I too have had many lapsesā€¦

The fact you are here means you are serious about doing something about thisā€¦ from your short post it is difficult to ascertain how bad the situation is for youā€¦ but one thing is very very likely and that is it will get worse.

My experience could become yoursā€¦I nearly lost my wife and access to my kidsā€¦home would have goneā€¦ all sort of family upsetā€¦ plus would probably lost my job and shortened my lifeā€¦ but I stopped drinkingā€¦how I did that was to make sobriety the most important thing in my lifeā€¦! If I start again I will definitely start where I left offā€¦and the above will happenā€¦ you can also stop this nowā€¦

Make a planā€¦go to meetingsā€¦(I do smart)ā€¦see your doctorā€¦tell your wife and familyā€¦read the suggested bookā€¦ this naked mind and also ā€˜the unexpected joy of being soberā€™ā€¦

The key to sobriety for me was to change my thinking towards alcoholā€¦a change in mindsetā€¦ so I actually donā€™t miss itā€¦ now I donā€™tā€¦

Stick around the forum keep asking questions and find the ā€˜checking in to maintain daily focusā€™ threadā€¦I could write so much moreā€¦but please believe me that being sober can be and is so much better than drinkingā€¦ take care mate and good luck :grin:

4 Likes

Wow @LyLyC ā€¦ that post of yours made me tingle it was so good :grin:

2 Likes

The key to sobriety for me was to change my thinking towards alcoholā€¦a change in mindsetā€¦ so I actually donā€™t miss itā€¦ now I donā€™tā€¦

Not good at the quoting function on here. Robketts posted this. The change in mindset has been key for me. I like reading books so I recommend Allen Carrs Easy Way.

I also notice alot of AA people on this sight with many days of Sobriety . You should probably try going to a meeting. Im 83 days sober but I will be attending my first meeting Sunday.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for everybodyā€™s help. I have plans in place & know my triggers. I have found a site called alcohol mastery which seems to work for me, also the naked mind podcasts sound good :heart:ļø

3 Likes