Hi sober 4 days

39 y/o F here.I had 8 days but gave in so now im at 4. I still smoke weed but that doesn’t mess up my life, or atleast i dont think it is. I thought I would feel better, but all I do, literally is cry. If im not working, im home balling my eyes out. Im exhausted and I want to feel better. This is the complete opposite of how I wanted to feel when trying to rid my favorite, yet most toxic thing out of my life…alcohol.

9 Likes

Welcome! You’re taking the first steps. This is a great support group here.

2 Likes

Hi! Great work so far! Just the fact that you’re here and giving this a shot is amazing.

Alcohol is an anesthetic. It numbs our emotions. When we get rid of it, we’ve got to feel those emotions.

Not only that, but there’s a physical part too. Your body is adjusting to not having a powerful substance in it. That takes time.

Maybe try this… Imagine all the things you can do finally free of alcohol. What do you want out of life? What makes you happy? I actually had trouble answering that. It’s easy to return to booze not really having a purpose.

I am a notorious pessimist and thinking positively and imagining possibilities is hard so I work at it. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I do lots thing’s since five months sober going on six months next month

I usually do my walking and my fitness workout every day and txt my friends and family etc

5 Likes

Congratulations on starting your sober journey!

Accepting that we no longer want alcohol in our lives is a big step.

Why do you think weed does not have a negative effect on you? Weed is hard to categorise but it can act as a depressant, stimulant or hallucinogen.

I would suggest that level of sadness and tiredness could well be associated with weed. If you have underlying depression then it can make that worse.

If you’re in a quitting mood why not try both for a few days and see if the sadness lifts?

2 Likes

Early sober days are really hard. I slept and existed mostly and that was enough. Without alcohol all the feelings come rushing in and as someone who has dealt with depression they can be debilitating.

Stick with it and ask for help (like you are doing here :clap:t3::clap:t3:) when needed. Alcohol is fuel for depressions fire. The sooner you can get it out of your system the sooner the healing starts.

1 Like

Thank you! Im trying. Today was another day with no alcohol.

3 Likes

My mom said the same thing. Maybe im not ready to get rid of all my vices yet. Im trying day by day and right now alcohol is whats ruining my life. I do think you are right though. I should cut out both and see how I feel.

You are correct! Ive realized that alcohol was only making things worse, masking the issue. Its the little things,like I made dinner and actually cleaned up afterward. Drunk me Would just leave the mess for days.

2 Likes

Im the opposite. I think and over think of every negative thing possible. I have got alot more done in these last few days. Im excited to see if i can stick it out and how i will feel alcohol free.

3 Likes

Actually being able to feel emotions after numbing it all for so long takes getting used to. Just existing sober is hard in the beginning. The first couple weeks can be overwhelming, but it will get better.

I can relate to overthinking the worst. It’s easy to do if you’re used to doing it. Are you doing any program to support your recovery? I found going to AA really helped me learn how to live my sober life and changed my way of thinking dramatically. Staying in the present is where we should be. If your mind wanders towards the downward spiral, focus on what’s going on right where you are. That is what’s true and the only moment that matters.

Stick with it and keep checking in. You can do this :muscle:

2 Likes

I have done AA but it is not for me. Right now this change is in my hands and im the only one who can change it. Ty for the kind words!

2 Likes