Hi, this is my story

My name is Chandler. I’m 30, but my birthday is December 1, so almost 31!

I will always be a recovering addict, and my sobriety date is May 10, 2022.
My choice was cocaine and alcohol.

I started using at age 20. I worked in the nightclub scene. I was engaged to a wonderful young man. At first the addiction seemed manageable. I was an alcoholic who used cocaine.

I got involved with a man twice my age. He was a hardcore user. I was engaged and left my fiancé to be with this other man twice my age. I had the huge satisfaction of raising his daughter who was half my age and more of a sister, we are still very close friends.

But this man ruined my life. I ruined my life. I was pretty well known in my field of work. I worked incredibly hard to get to where I got to. But I used every night for 9 years. The whole time I was with him, and I used and 2 years after.

I was sex trafficked December 2 - December 24 2020 because I couldn’t afford my addiction anymore. That experience changed me forever. I ran for my life with the 30 second window I had…

I was homeless after that. Living on a street bench but I was still using cocaine. Not even drinking anymore. I just needed cocaine.

I overdosed April 2021 and I don’t remember the date, nor do I try to remember. I have no idea how I lived. The amount of drugs I did in a 24 hour period should of killed anyone… I was purple. And 70 something degrees. I’m was also alone with my dog and cat.

It took me almost a year after that incident to still, get clean.

I wanted to be clean before may 17, in 2022.
The young girl I raised was going to be 17 and she always meant the world to me. She was that little spark for living. I managed to quit for a day. And then her birthday came around and it had been a week. I decided I can’t quit now.

I have now been sober and clean since May 10, 2022.

29 Likes

Welcome Chandler and huge congratulations on your year and a half plus clean and sober.
Amazing :star_struck:
I’m glad you found us. This has been a great sober community for me to work my sobriety. Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable. You’re never alone here.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

I’m glad you lived to fight the good fight. Congratulations on what you’ve done already and good luck on your journey. It’s a war of attrition. Keep on keep’n on!

2 Likes

I really needed a place a to join where I felt less alone. I appreciate the response and I’ll definitely try my best to be active in this community:

I started because it was a social lubricant. So it being the holidays. It can be hard.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m very thankful I did live to fight the the good fight.
I will never stop.
I know my resilience is super strong.
I just feel alone a lot. This helps.

5 Likes

I saw you already on the check in thread. It’s a good daily check in for people to get and give support.

I always start my day right here Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #5 gratitude is my strongest tool in my tool box. Lots of great people on there. Lots of great people on all the threads.

And there’s plenty of fun threads too, memes, nature, pets, kitties, etc….
Enjoy exploring, if you got any questions about the app just ask. We were all new once.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Glad it helps. I’m often surprised at what does and especially what doesn’t. None of us walk the same path, but we experience similar things, milestones, benchmarks, archetypes… That’s why no one can tell you exactly how to do what we’re all trying to do here. We can only be here for each other. Support is the name of the game. Giving it. Needing it. Receiving it. If you need any, drop me a message. If you’ve got some, I always appreciate a good word.

Peace \m/

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you’ve really been through a lot. Congratulations on this time you’ve been clean. That’s a big deal!

This is a good forum to be part of. I hope you will like it here and that this community can be a good tool for your continuing sobriety journey.

2 Likes

Thank you for the outpouring of support.
This community has been wonderful for me.
I feel less alone.
The one thing for me is for about the last 8 months I haven’t wanted to use at all. Even in social situations. But my anxiety is getting worst in public. I’m schizophrenic so paranoia is the name of the game for me.
Thank you for everyone who read my story even if you didn’t comment.
I feel seen.
Thank you to the community!

5 Likes

Hi Chandler. I’m so glad to meet you and hear your story. And I’m as well glad I can be now a part of your life and support you at your little progress steps and help you whenever you will feel bad. :heart::sparkles:

3 Likes