Hit a milestone

Husband and I are celebrating :confetti_ball: 4 months clean today! Never thought we’d make it this far but recovery is possible! We’re living proof!

29 Likes

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Well done! :fist:

Congratulations!

By the grace of God, the fellowship of AA and communities like this the wife and I hit 9 months on Thursday. All things are possible with action.

7 Likes

That’s great, congratulations!

1 Like

Yes I agree 100% the relationship is much better when you both are on the same page and congratulations to you and your husband

Congratulations!

Wonderful!!

My spouse and I are both sober, too. We have a much stronger marriage than I ever imagined.

I can totally believe it! My husband and I do as well we’ve been through things that I’ve actually seen tear friends marriages apart and we stuck through and made it through even worse. I’m so happy for you guys and wish you many more years of sobriety and a happy marriage!

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you approach your spouse about tackling sobriety together? I ask because I’m working on my sobriety, but my husband is a daily user with no desire (from what I can tell) to quit. I’m not sure how to get him to try sobriety, at least for the sake of the marriage.

You’re perfectly fine asking. Unfortunately I don’t think I’m going to have the answer you want. This decision was both mine and my husband’s decision after many years of using. Our choice came from our son who is 3 years old and was diagnosed with epilepsy and is possibly autistic. We knew that he needed his mom and dad sober to take care of him. And we knew that if he wasn’t taken care of properly and we got him taken from us he would end up in the care of someone who did not love him as much as we do! I hope you don’t mind I did ask my counselor about what I should say to you and she stated that unfortunately you cannot make him get sober it has to be his choice. But as far as bringing it up in conversation to see how he feels about it if he really wants to get sober for your marriage, I would suggest trying to get professional help as far as my husband and I went to an outpatient rehab type facility and I went first while he was at work and by the time they close their doors I had talked him into taking short-term disability from his job and getting sober. I don’t know what your insurance is like or anything like that or his job or anything or if he works that’s just how we did it and I really hope the best for you and him and your guyses marriage cuz I completely understand having someone who is not sober and you are and it’s really really hard so my heart and prayers go out to you and your husband! I hope that that helped in some type of way.

I didn’t start dating my husband until I was sober. I had three months of sobriety after 8 years of therapy and Alanon and ACOA meetings. He was the first person to ask me out after my divorce. He was sober 12 years. We met at work and didn’t know that we were both alcoholics until our first date. Then, we just clicked.