Hit rock bottom last week. Time to rebuild. Tips?

Today is day 1 for me. Any tips for healthy distractions so I don’t run to my usual numbing MO?

7 Likes

Welcome Lindsay,

Read lots around the site. It’s very informative with so much great info.
The folks here are really helpful, supportive and non judgmental. Embrace the community spirit and you will get lots from this place.

Welcome to TS :heart::pray:

3 Likes

As a follow up Lindsay, many folks have focused on mediation, yoga, gym (my personal favorite), walking, focusing on better eating, sleep, journaling to name a few… all great things to work at improving while your in your sobriety journey.

I definitely love a good workout! I do hot yoga and Pilates 4x a week, run and hit the weights - it’s scientifically proven that I will lose my mind without this routine lol!

2 Likes

Welcome! I get you on the working out. The family knows to stay away from me if I don’t get a workout in. ODAAT

2 Likes

Welcome! Do you have anyone that can you can call upon to spend the evening with you? Im not sure what your history of addiction is so the first night can be rough. Certainly don’t want to scare you but I would recommend not being alone.

1 Like

Yes I’m not alone. I don’t have any friends unfortunately and I’m not ready to be open with family yet but I do have them to turn to when the time is right. I am very lonely (isolated and super guarded as a trauma response) and would really like to have friends to lean on.

1 Like

Drink lots of water. Were you deep enough into addiction to have to worry about withdrawal?

1 Like

Nope, it didn’t get that far.

1 Like

Hey welcome to the community. I’ve listened to hours of sobriety podcasts, lime recovery elevator and recovery happy hour, or the shair podcast. It’s nice knowing your not alone. And it kinda putse back in the right frame of mind. Plus just spend time on here connecting with people. There’s also workout challenge threads and other stuff on here to keep you connected

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome! This place is great if you’re feeling lonely and not ready to open to family. Spend lots of time reading here; so much great info & support! The search function is great too for looking up various topics of interest. Glad you’re here :blush:

1 Like

Bottom is just the place where we put the shovel down and stop digging.

When I reached the point where I was either ready to stop or ready to die I went to rehab followed by a heavy dose of AA. I’m almost 6,5 years sober and rarely is there a problem in my life that I can’t find a solution in AA.

Hobbies and distractions are great, but they aren’t a plan. Do your future self a favor and find a local meeting. I guarantee they are saving you a seat.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Lindsay! Great work on starting on your day 1 - this is a huge step.

I slept a lot at the beginning of my recovery. The following also helped me in the distractions department when the urges hit:

• games on my phone
  • cleaning house
  • gardening
  • knitting
  • puzzles
  • dancing around the house
  • screaming to let out the frustration - punching the air or pillows
  • cooking / baking
  • going for a brisk walk
  • working out

Do whatever you can to not give in to that urge. The beginning will be hard so surround yourself with support if possible. Look into online or in person recovery group meetings. Drink plenty of water to flush out your system.

This community has been a life savor in everyway. Great support and the amazing knowledge / support from the threads has been my lifeline. Many “just for fun” threads here too to help you with fun distractions.

I am glad you are here with us and hope to see you around :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

Welcome! You’re making a great choice to make a change and I’m glad you’re here. There are several helpful threads, I’ll link a couple of my favorites here, including a list of quit lit. Reading recovery material helped me a lot, I especially appreciated reading This Naked Mind and Quit Like a Woman. Hope to see you around.

What’s Your Plan

Resources for our Recovery

2 Likes

Wow 6.5 years is awesome! Thank you for the suggestion!

Thank you so much! I’ll stick around!

1 Like

You got a lot of advice already. How I did it you find here: 2 years sober and what helped me to get there: Sober since my last day one more then 5 years ago. Not to bragg, but to give hope it can be done :hugs:
Stick around, this is a good place to add in your recovery.

2 Likes