Hobbies you started that helped you stay sober

Recently realized how important having hobbies is. What is time when you have nothing to do with it?

Im not one who likes to sit still, unless it’s being on my phone, watching a movie, or reading😂 but I want some new ideas on how to waste time… what have you all been doing lately with your free time to remain sober???

Lately I’ve started:
Reading
Gardening (flowers mostly, some veggies)
Puzzles
Walks
Learning piano
Baking

12 Likes

Your list is great!
To it, I’ll add:
Listening to audiobooks while cleaning the house.
Watching cooking shows, and trying new dinner recipes.
Coloring intricate mandala books with my kids.

11 Likes

Krav Maga and riding a bike

10 Likes

Riding a bike is a superb idea :nail_care::heart: thank you

3 Likes

:face_holding_back_tears::face_holding_back_tears::heart::heart: thank you Vanessa

2 Likes

Reading, meditation, online classes

10 Likes

Working out
Walking the dog
Self care

9 Likes

Baking was and still is on my hobby list. I really got into exercise also which is great for my mental and physical health. I also enjoy beading… making dreamcatchers specifically. Cleaning isnt a hobby but i really enjoy doing it to take up time

8 Likes

Cleaning IS a hobby :nail_care::nail_care::heart::heart: love it. Thank you lady :heart:

2 Likes

I taught myself how to cook from scratch. I needed something to do on my days off when I got sober. Every meal I planned out. I read books, watched videos…turns out I became a great home chef.

14 Likes

Photography, videography, painting and bait making.

Using my beer money to finance these hobbies was very helpful. Today I have a pile of cameras, painting supplies bait making supplies to show for it. It gave me a positive outlet to spend time I used to spend drinking.

12 Likes

Amazing!! :heart: I’m now going to try and put that money I would’ve spent on addiction, on my hobbies as well. Thank you so much Jason :pray:

2 Likes

Cooking from scratch is such a good idea. Plus, it takes longer so it’ll keep my mind busy!! Thank you friend :heart::pray:

The meal planning and research was so much fun. Learning how to blend spices, knif cuts, all of it was great

4 Likes

Toy collecting.

10 Likes

I started my glider Pilot license before I sobered up, with the intension it will help me in my path. And it did! Im in airflield every weekend and comming home so tired, I can only drop in bed. It keeps my weekends busy and the mission around it makes me stay sober as I tell myself I will never make it drunk through.

16 Likes

What an amazing idea. I am seriously tempted!

2 Likes

It might sound strange but I’ve always been awful at cleaning & self care so they are on my list of"ways to waste time" :joy: I’ve also started meditating & journalling. The usual ones reading, Netflix, gardening. I also like to crochet, knit, colour in, go on walks, cycle. I thinking of staying running (maybe it’ll be more of a fast walk than run) I’m trying to be more sociable too. I am listening to podcasts, lots of sober ones but I’ve branched out into others when I hit the 4 month mark of Sobriety

5 Likes

Okayyyy but your collection is :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

You look absolutely amazing. :heart: thank you for the idea!!

1 Like